Regional train from Zermatt to Grindelwald?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2018 at 16:59:21 #817803

We will be travelling from Zermatt to Grindelwald and wanted to take a scenic route (not tunnel). I read that I should go through Goppenstein. When I look at SBB it looks like there is a regional train which runs hourly which takes 4.5 hours (through Visp) OR the Glacier Express through Brig. If I took the GEX to Brig, would we need a reservation? Thanks for your help.

Gail

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    10 August 2018 at 17:06:07 #893891

Hi Gail,

You can best not take the Glacier Express from Zermatt to Brig. That’s only a short section and you would indeed need a relatively expensive reservation for it. I recommend to take a regular train to Brig, it offers the same views. Then, take a regional train via Goppenstein and Kandersteg for the scenic route to Spiez. Change there for Interlaken Ost. Then change for Grindelwald.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2018 at 18:14:04 #893892

Okay. I will have the STP so I thought the GEX was free but it seems there is a fee to make a reservation for this short trip to Brig. So, it looks like I would search Zermatt to Brig and then Brig to Spiez (via Goppenstein). This way I would not be in the tunnel and would see a lot more scenery. I also thought I could take the train to Visp and then a bus but that seemed longer to catch this regional train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2018 at 18:36:35 #893893

Hi Gail,

Yes, the panoramic trains always incur a seat reservation charge regardless of the ticket or rail pass you have. The Swiss Travel Pass covers the ticket charge you would normally also buy along with a seat reservation: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity.

It is easier to search for the whole route on the timetable: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable. IE Zermatt to Spiez (via Goppenstein or Kandersteg – as both work to get you on the same scenic route).

The timetable gives you the most direct routes. This is either with 1 change in Brig to the train or 2 changes (one in Visp and onto a bus to Ausserberg where you pick up the train). If the timing works for your schedule I’d go for the 1 change in Brig option.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2018 at 22:25:33 #893894

Ignore the Glacier Express.

Take an ordinary local train Zermatt – Brig (make sure you get the trains departing Zermatt at xx.13 past each hour so that you don’t have to change at Visp). Then take the BLS Lötschberger Brig – Kandersteg – Spiez. Then take any train Spiez – Interlaken Ost, the take the BOB train to Grindelwald

Be aware that taking the quicker train through the base tunnel from Visp to Spiez is perfectly acceptable – the line either side of the tunnel is still pleasant and the transit through the tunnel isn’t onerous – you’re out the other side before you know it because it’s a modern high speed tunnel.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2018 at 17:40:12 #893895

Thanks Lucas and 1960man. I agree, the 1 change in Brig sounds a lot simpler and not having to change at Visp would be great. We will check on the timing. If the quicker train with the tunnel has just as nice scenery and gets there an hour earlier, we may decide to do this route. It’s nice to have options.

• The thread ‘Regional train from Zermatt to Grindelwald?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.