How to plan Swiss scenic train routes on timetable

• autumnz
    Participant
    81 posts
    27 December 2017 at 3:38:00 #813879

Can you assist with which trains to take for scenic views. We are traveling (in July) Lucerne to wengen and then later wengen to montreux. I’ve been using sbb app, but then I’ve read it may be most direct, not the most scenic. We will also travel Zurich to luzern; montreux to Geneva; other day trips. If a more scenic route is available, great! How do we know which routes to take to.offer best experience?

What suggestions for train line routes to take?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 December 2017 at 6:28:55 #873246

Hello autumnz,

For the most scenic route between Lucerne and Montreux (leaving aside your stop off at Wengen) you should follow the Golden Pass Line (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass). For Lucerne to Wengen include via Meiringen. For Wengen to Montreux include via Zweisimmen and look for the trains denoted MOB Panoramic or MOB Belle Epoque.

Between Zurich and Lucerne about a 30 minute, longer than direct, detour going via Arth-Goldhau will give you some nice views of the Zugersee. Montreux to Geneva you just follow the regular route along the shores of Lake Geneva.

autumnz
    Participant
    81 posts
    27 December 2017 at 13:04:04 #873247

Thank you!

So looking at leaving Lucerne (3nts) to wengen (staying 1 week there), we should go via meringue? Does this opinion change if we will be visiting meringue on a day trip to lake brienze?

Then at the end of our week in wengen go to montreux via zweissman?

Also, I have sbb phone app….without clicking every train is there a way to see if route is MOB?

And, what do the different train letters (R, IR, etc) mean?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 December 2017 at 15:52:29 #873248

Typically you will travel via Meiringen between Luzern and Wengen. If you want another route you could look at going via Bern and then by Thun – I feel like all routes in Switzerland are quite scenic!

On the App you will need to click on each train to see if it is a MOB Panoramic (this is what you mean my MOB?) or Belle Epoque. Both have panoramic windows, the 2nd option is a heritage style train.

R= regional trains, IR= InterRegional, IC=InterCity.
    R trains are slower as they have more stops, IR & IC are faster as they stop less frequently.

autumnz
    Participant
    81 posts
    27 December 2017 at 16:04:26 #873249

Very helpful thank you!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 December 2017 at 20:35:20 #873250

Does this opinion change if we will be visiting meringue on a day trip to lake brienze?

Nope. Don’t miss the Brünig Pass between Lucerne and Meiringen (or Pavlova as we call it in Australia). 🤓

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 December 2017 at 0:51:40 #873251

>> Can you assist with which trains to take for scenic views. We are traveling (in July) Lucerne to wengen and then later wengen to montreux.

In July, I would make reservations for all sectors of the Golden Pass, i.e. from Luzern to Interlaken Ost, then for all sectors from Interlaken Ost to Montreux. It’s not only a peak season for tourists, but there are also school holidays in the Canton of Bern from early July to early August.

>> We will also travel Zurich to luzern; montreux to Geneva; other day trips. If a more scenic route is available, great! How do we know which routes to take to.offer best experience?

This map shows where the classic panoramc routes are:

http://www.sbb.ch/content/dam /sbb/de/pdf/bahnhof-services/am-bahnhof/infra_services -uebersicht-karten-uebersicht-sts-panorama-de.pdf

The Wilhelm Tell Express is now called the Gotthard Panorama Express.

>> What suggestions for train line routes to take?

Others have given you good suggestions. I would just like to add that the standard route between Montreux and Genève/Geneva (already mentioned) is also very scenic. This route goes along the beautiful Lac Léman (Lake Geneva) and past the Lavaux vineyard terraces (a UNESCO World Heritage Site).

>> we will be visiting meringue on a day trip to lake brienze?

As you will be in Wengen for a full week, and plan to visit Meiringen, a scenic trip on the PostBus might interest you. As well as the trip from Grindelwald to Meiringen over the Grosse Scheidegg that I mentioned in response to one of your earlier posts, there is also a round trip (full day) from Meiringen over four passes of the central alps.

If you are interested, I have written trip report about it (with photos):

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/postbus-through-four-passes-of-the-central-alps

I have also attached a map of the route.

If you have time, I can highly recommend a visit to the Frutal Tea Room in Meiringen for meringues! It’s open daily from 07:00 to 18:30 and is located at Bahnhofstrasse 18, not far from Meiringen station and PostBus terminus. I have attached a photo of a meringue dessert that I had there!

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘How to plan Swiss scenic train routes on timetable’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.