Rental car in Switzerland: company and payment

• Audy
    Participant
    25 posts
    27 May 2022 at 13:31:39 #827322

Hi, me and my wife are planning to visit Switzerland in October and we will rent a car as our way to go around Switzerland. Of course, we will also use train, cable car, and boat tour. 😊

We have some questions and concerns about renting a car, maybe anyone can help.

First, the credit card that we use to rent a car..does it have to be the same name as the driver name? Also, rental companies accept Visa and Mastercard from any bank, right? Even the bank from our country (Indonesia)?

I read reviews on the internet about some rental company. Some said they play trick such as saying the car not available and forcing people to rent the more expensive car. Is that true? What’s rental car company is recommended? We’re thinking about renting from Europcar (thru economy car booking website) are those website credible, can be trusted? How’s the car condition?

We are looking forward to our trip in October. We watched so many youtube channel about towns and villages in Switzerland..also the scenery on the road, all of them are very beautiful.

Thank you for anyone who could give some information to us. 😊🙏🏼

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    27 May 2022 at 13:56:25 #942421

Hi Audy,

Based on my personal experience, yes the name on the credit card must be the same as the driver’s (or one of the drivers if more than 1 driving). Mastercard and Visa are commonly accepted credit cards here but you might need to check with your banks if pre-authorisation is required.

You can find more information about car rental options here: http://www.myswissalps.com/car/carrental

Be sure to read this too for practical information about driving in Switzerland: http://www.myswissalps.com/car

Regards,

Anna

Audy
    Participant
    25 posts
    28 May 2022 at 3:21:31 #942422

Hi Anna. nice to meet you.

Thank you for your information. As for credit card, I don’t think it would be a problem. I just have to make sure. Good thing I found out early because we’re planning to use my wife credit card (she is not the driver).

I guess for other negative things said in review, not all correct?

We’re thinking about getting rental car from Europcar since their prices are reasonable.

Anna
    6382 posts
    28 May 2022 at 7:21:37 #942423

Hi Audy,

If you want to avoid being coerced into renting a more expensive car, then it might be a good idea to book and arrange your rental car in advance. This way everything is confirmed before your arrival.

I think Europcar is an established rental car company although I have no personal experience dealing with it.

I hope everything works out for you.

Regards,

Anna

Audy
    Participant
    25 posts
    28 May 2022 at 11:44:26 #942424

So, I guess if we do all the booking online via economy car booking or similar website, it’ll be safe.

Anna
    6382 posts
    28 May 2022 at 13:59:35 #942425

Hi Audy,

To my knowledge, the car rental companies and links listed on this page are legit: http://www.myswissalps.com/car/carrental

Regards,

Anna

Audy
    Participant
    25 posts
    30 May 2022 at 2:53:16 #942426

Sorry to ask many questions.

Another thing I need to know about rental car is the insurance. To be safe, I want to purchase their full protection coverage. Rentalcars.com offers full protection, but they said I might still have to buy at the counter too. So any suggestion? Should I buy from rentalcars.com or buy at the counter when I pick up the car?

I am asking all of these questions because I don’t want any problem when I pick up the car.

Thank you 🙏🏼😊

Audy
    Participant
    25 posts
    30 May 2022 at 3:00:19 #942427

Is economycarrentals.com good?

Anna
    6382 posts
    30 May 2022 at 3:26:01 #942428

Hi Audy,

From my understanding, the Collision Damage Waiver insurance is included in the car rental price. The Full Protection is optional and refundable if you cancel your booking before the pick-up date. Any other charges not covered in the rental price and payable at the pick-up point are listed in the terms and conditions, so be sure to read this carefully.

By the way, the link you suggested does not work.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Rental car in Switzerland: company and payment’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.