Renting a car in Switzerland. Good idea?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 20:52:05 #816545

Hi

We are going to be in Lucerne for 4-5 days in August. Will renting a car be a good idea?

Please suggest.

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 June 2018 at 23:12:31 #887860

Hello Akanksha,

Depends what you plan to do. I wouldn’t dream of it as public transport is fantastic.

Maybe read http://www.myswissalps.com/ca rversustrain.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 23:32:22 #887861

Most occasional tourists to the Luzern area don’t need a car as yo can get to all the ‘famous’ sights by using the Swiss Travel System of interconnected public transport

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    10 June 2018 at 1:26:30 #887862

Hej,

More information is needed. How many people are in your group ? Are you arriving in Lucerne from elsewhere in Switzerland ? And continuing to elsewhere in Switzerland after your séjour in Lucerne ? Are you traveling in Switzerland with some form of public transport pass, such as a Swiss Travel Pass, or a Half-Taxe abonnement ? If you already are going to have such a pass, then why not just continue to use it to see all that is interesting and beautiful to see in and around Lucerne. I frankly see no need to go to the extra expense of renting a car just to be << in Lucerne for 4-5 days in August >>. I assume this is your first visit to Lucerne, as otherwise you would not be asking your question. With all the rail lines and boat excursions available, you will be amazed at all the places you can go to and see in the area with no need for a car. Lastly, do you really want be be worrying about where you will be able to park a car ?

So when would renting a car be a good idea ? First, the size of your group might make it seem a better option cost-wise. But the biggest factor for me would be if renting a car would make it possible for me (0r us) to get to a number of places I (we) really wanted to see that are off the Swiss transportation grid. There are such places, and driving your own car puts you more in command of where you stop, how long you stop, and where you can stay. This might be more suitable for a return trip to Switzerland.

• The thread ‘Renting a car in Switzerland. Good idea?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.