Request help from the experts – which pass/package

• SusanBaker
    Participant
    2 posts
    18 June 2012 at 14:07:54 #805386

I have reviewed the SBB and MySwissAlps.com websites for several weeks, and I am still unsure which combination to purchase.

We are a group of 1 adult and 2 Youth (both age 16 for the duration of our visit). For most purposes, prices are clear for the “kids”. On the JungfrauJoch, for the Centenary Pass, there is a price for Child (6-16 Without Family Card), for 70CHF. If my kids have already turned 16 this month, will they pay the adult price for this? (170 with Half-Fare Card, 225 Full Fare).

Our overall trip is as follows, and I appreciate your input on whether to do the Swiss Transfer, Swiss Card, Swiss FlexiPass or Half-Fare Card:

July 1 – Geneva airport to Adelboden
    July 9 – Adelboden to Grindelwald (Interlaken to Grindelwald is covered in Centenary Pass)
    July 10 – Jungfraujoch and other activites in the area
    July 11 – other activities in the area. Evening train Grindelwald to Basel/SBB (Grindelwald to Interlaken is covered)

We may optionally take a day-trip July 6 to Zermatt, weather permitting, but this isn’t required for the calculation.

Is there one of the 4 combinations that is a clear obvious choice for us?
    Best regards,
    Susan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7115 posts
    19 June 2012 at 9:45:07 #836482

Hello Susan, and welcome to the forum! I suggest you look into a Swiss Card. It offers a free trip from Geneva Airport to Adelboden and from Grindelwald to Basel, plus a 50% discount on remaining trips throughout the country. An alternative is the 3 or 4 day Swiss Flexi Pass, using free travel days for Geneva Airport-Adelboden, Grindelwald-Basel, and if you want Grindelwald-Zermatt-Grindelwald. This is a long and expensive journey, so you would save quite some money if that’s for free.

I’m not sure whether you should buy a Jungfrau Centenary Pass on top of this. A Swiss Card and a Swiss Flexi Pass will already provide discounts on mountain transportation in the Adelboden and Grindelwald regions (50% in most cases; the sections between Grindelwald, Kleine Scheidegg, Wengen and the Jungfraujoch are 25% off with a Swiss Saver Flexi Pass), so you should really try and calculate whether the Jungfrau Centenary Pass is also worth your money.

Children aged 16 and older have to pay regular fares for most passes (including the Jungfrau Centenary Pass). The Swiss Pass has a cheaper youth variant, but I don’t think that’s what you’re looking for.

SusanBaker
    Participant
    2 posts
    19 June 2012 at 10:17:39 #836483

Thank you for the very helpful reply. There is one more thing i discovered last night that may change the balance. Is there a 1-month half-fare card (which is cheaper than the 12-month half-fare card?) I ran each scenario, and if this is available, it may win overall by some CHF. However, if you are correct, and I avoid the Centenary Pass purchase (instead using the 25% discount in that region) I will save even more.
    [quote]Annika said: Hello Susan, and welcome to the forum! I suggest you look into a Swiss Card. It offers a free trip from Geneva Airport to Adelboden and from Grindelwald to Basel, plus a 50% discount on remaining trips throughout the country. An alternative is the 3 or 4 day Swiss Flexi Pass, using free travel days for Geneva Airport-Adelboden, Grindelwald-Basel, and if you want Grindelwald-Zermatt-Grindelwald. This is a long and expensive journey, so you would save quite some money if that’s for free.

I’m not sure whether you should buy a Jungfrau Centenary Pass on top of this. A Swiss Card and a Swiss Flexi Pass will already provide discounts on mountain transportation in the Adelboden and Grindelwald regions (50% in most cases; the sections between Grindelwald, Kleine Scheidegg, Wengen and the Jungfraujoch are 25% off with a Swiss Saver Flexi Pass), so you should really try and calculate whether the Jungfrau Centenary Pass is also worth your money.

Children aged 16 and older have to pay regular fares for most passes (including the Jungfrau Centenary Pass). The Swiss Pass has a cheaper youth variant, but I don’t think that’s what you’re looking for.[/quote]

Annika
    7115 posts
    19 June 2012 at 10:34:48 #836484

Hello Susan. Yes, there is, and it’s explained here. However, total costs for your plans will turn out to be pretty much the same with the Swiss Half Fare Card (cheaper to purchase, but not allowing free inbound and outbound trips) and the Swiss Card (more expensive, but allowing a free inbound and outbound trip). According to my calculations, it’s a difference of only a few CHF. Since this is true, I’d personally prefer the Swiss Card as it will allow you to travel for free (without the need to buy discounted tickets) on the legs Geneva Airport-Adelboden and Grindelwald-Basel.

• The thread ‘Request help from the experts – which pass/package’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.