Wengen to Bachalpsee and Schilthorn on same day

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2017 at 20:15:51 #812089

Hi,

I am travelling in June and staying in Wengen and planning to visit Bachalspee. I understand that its closer to Grindelwald.

Can some one assist if Bachalspee can only be reached from Grindelwald only by walking or is some part can be managed by some other mode of transport. If that would be covered free under Swiss Travel pass.

Can a visit be made to schlthorn on the same day. Please advise on route and swiss travel usage for the same.

Thanks & Regards,

Alok Datta

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    2 June 2017 at 21:48:55 #864359

When are you traveling? The walk from First (above Grindelwald) to Bachalpsee usually does not open until June 15.

The most direct route to get there from Wengen is to take the train from Wengen to Grindelwald via Zweilütschinen. Once at Grindelwald train station you can either take the bus or walk through the town to the First gondolas. The gondolas will take you all the way up to First where you begin the walk to Bachalpsee and back. This entire trip will take quite some time. The transport to/from First and Wengen will take about 4 hours round trip. The walk to Bachalpsee and back will take 3 hours if you move right along and have some hiking experience. The last gondola down from First (which you do NOT want to miss) is at 5:00 pm. As you can see, trying to do Schilthorn on same day is not really possible.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2017 at 20:07:20 #864360

Hi Kim,

Thanks for your response. I will be visiting Bachalpsee after June 20th.

How much does it take from

1) Grindelwald Station to First Gondola by Bus and Walk

2) I was under the impression from some other blogs that for the walk from First to Bachalpsee, one way is less than an hour and and is a simple route which anyone can travel. Please let me know if its really not correct.

I am not a hiker but just can’t avoid the beauty of the lake so had the wish to walk towards the same. Please suggest so that I can plan accordingly.

Thanks & Regards,

Alok Datta

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    3 June 2017 at 21:45:36 #864361

Walking Grindelwald station to Firstbahn is about 15minutes through the town of Grindelwald

The bus departs every thirty minutes and takes less than 5 minutes

The gondola ride from Grindelwald Firstbahn to First is about 25 minutes

The walk to Bachalpsee is simple but is not flat. There is some initial ascent that some find steep but the path is wide and easy to navigate. It then drops down so you also have uphill coming back. Anyone that can walk and has some stamina can do it but if you are not accustomed to hiking at altitude and with elevation gain it will take you longer. Experienced alpine hikers can do the walk in maybe an hour each way without stopping and moving at a brisk pace. Without hiking experience you should plan on three hours round trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2017 at 19:06:51 #864362

Thanks Kim.

The bus travel + gondola to first, is that covered by Swiss Travel pass ?

Regards,

Alok Datta

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    4 June 2017 at 22:15:55 #864363

Hi Alok,

You can learn areas of validity for Swiss Travel Pass here http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

Download the map and it will tell you routes that are covered 100% and those that are just discounted (usually 25% – 50%)

• The thread ‘Wengen to Bachalpsee and Schilthorn on same day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.