Reservations for Swiss Travel Pass CHF 5 each leg?

• Ajittipnis
    Participant
    87 posts
    28 June 2018 at 4:41:25 #816933

Hi

I am planning to buy 15 days consecutative swiss travel pass, would like to know about the reservation

If there are 2 or 3 change of trains, will the reservation fee of CHF 5 applicable on each sector or it will be from starting point to destination?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2018 at 6:12:13 #889620

Hi Ajittipnis,

Most trains in Switzerland don’t offer reservations so you may find if you want to reserve a trip with several changes, not all of the sectors offer reservations anyway.

What route are you taking and when? Unless you are traveling in peak summer season with a big family and you want to ensure you all sit together, I wouldn’t worry about making reservations too much.

https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/reservatio ns

Ajittipnis
    Participant
    87 posts
    28 June 2018 at 6:55:26 #889621

Hi

Thanks for your Prompt reply.

I was mainly concern with my first day travel from Zurich Airport to Interlaken with a change of train at Bern.

IC8 822Direction Brig Zurich Flughafen 2:40:00 PM Bern 03:58:00 PM

IC 61 975 Direction Interlaken Ost Bern 4:04:00 PM Interlaken OST 04:57:00 PM

Also are the reserved seats marked as reserved? or how will we know which are the reserved seats if we are travelling without reservation.

Your web site is so useful, that I have built my 15 days swiss only tour taking the reference n clues from this forum. Great work you n your team mates doing.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2018 at 9:10:55 #889622

>> If there are 2 or 3 change of trains, will the reservation fee of CHF 5 applicable on each sector or it will be from starting point to destination?

Yes, a reservation is specific to one particular train. If you change trains and want a reservation on the next train, you need to buy a separate reservation.

However, reservations are not compulsory within Switzerland, except on the trains specifically catering for tourists, i.e. the Glacier Express, Bernina Express and Gotthard Panorama Express.

>> was mainly concern with my first day travel from Zurich Airport to Interlaken with a change of train at Bern. IC 61 975 Direction Interlaken Ost Bern 4:04:00 PM Interlaken OST 04:57:00 PM

That particular departure from Bern is likely to be crowded with commuters, due to the time of day. If I were taking that train, and travelling with luggage, I would make a reservation. It is unlikely you would have to stand all the way to Interlaken Ost, as commuters will get off along the way, freeing up seats, but I hate standing at any time when I want to enjoy the scenery!

If you have enough time, you could consider travelling via Luzern/Lucerne and over the Brünig Pass, which takes about an hour longer. This is part of the Golden Pass route and is much more scenic than the route through Bern.

I would recommend reservations on that train as well, due to the time of day.

>> Also are the reserved seats marked as reserved?

Yes, there is an electronic display above the seat, showing the towns between which the seat has been reserved.

Something else to look out for are seats set aside for last-minute reservations.

These seats have ggf freigeben on the electronic display showing reservation details above the seat. This is short for gegebenenfalls freigeben (vacate if need be), which means that the seat will need to be surrendered if anyone turns up with a reservation for it.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Reservations for Swiss Travel Pass CHF 5 each leg?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.