Reservation needed or desirable on Locarno FART?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2018 at 15:49:38 #814973

Hi! I am planning on traveling with my family (4 of us) from Lugano to Zermatt in June. We have swiss rail passes. For the part of the journey that heads through the Centovalli would it be helpful to make reservations? It looks from the website as if reservations are optional and that it’s a fast, panoramic train. I’m tempted to not reserve for flexibility.

Later in our itinerary we may be on a Golden Pass train while we travel from Zermatt to Luzern. Would we want reservations on that train or are we fine to play it by ear?

Thanks so much!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2018 at 19:19:11 #879896

Hi jenncanuck,

I thought seat reservations where not possible for the Centovalli Express. If it’s optional I would also be tempted not to do it.

For the Golden Pass you don’t need reservations, although reservations are recommended for some trains on the Montreux to Zweisimmen leg. Reservations can be done here: http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/packages.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 March 2018 at 20:10:50 #879897

There is a small supplement (CHF5 I think) collected in cash on board the Centovalli Express by the conductor.

Sit on the left. A primer youtu.be/58UjPHKVR_A

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 2:20:26 #879898

>> I thought seat reservations where not possible for the Centovalli Express.

Yes, that used to be the case, but according to the Swiss Timetable, it seems reservations are now possible on some services (but not all).

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 2:27:36 #879899

>> There is a small supplement (CHF5 I think) collected in cash on board the Centovalli Express by the conductor.

The supplement isn’t quite so hefty! Just €1,50 or CHF 1.50, and is only charged on the trains that have the panoramic windows.

In the Swiss Timetable, these trains show up as TRENO PANORAMICO VIGEZZO VISION, and have the letter Z in the legend, meaning subject to surcharge.

On the departure board at the station, the word supplemento identifies trains on which the surcharge will be collected.

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 March 2018 at 2:31:23 #879900

Bargain! Grazie.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 2:32:50 #879901

There is an “R” on the timetable for the Centovalli Express train, but it’s not in a square. It seems to indicate that reservations are possible but not required. I’m not sure if I should bother or if it will be fine to leave it open-ended. I certainly don’t want to miss out.

@rockoyster- that looks amazing. I can’t wait! (and thank you for your replies to my earlier post. I fell off the grid for a while due to work and life getting in the way of my trip planning, and when I went back to post a reply, the thread had been closed.)

For the Golden Pass, I think we will only be going from Interlaken Ost to Luzern (at least I think so- I’m still in the relatively confused stage of planning the train rides). I shouldn’t need a reservation, correct?

Thank you all for your help!

Jenn

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 March 2018 at 3:07:50 #879902

Hi Jenn,

You shouldn’t need reservations for Golden Pass Interlaken to Lucerne.

Reservations on Centovalli might give you a better chance of sitting together. Hard to say.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 4:46:07 #879903

Thanks Alpenrose.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 4:51:13 #879904

>> Grazie.

Prego!

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 5:07:05 #879905

Hi Jenn,

>> For the Golden Pass, I think we will only be going from Interlaken Ost to Luzern … I shouldn’t need a reservation, correct?

That train can get busy, especially in 2nd class. I don’t know about June, but in September 2016 (which is after the peak of the tourist season) I found that train very busy every time I used it while in the area for around 2 weeks.

Without a reservation, I expect you would all get a seat, but possibly not window seats, not on the best side for views, and maybe not four together.

That train just shuttles back and forth between Luzern and Interlaken Ost, with about a 10-minute turnaround. Once you have decided which train you will take, if you check what time it will be arriving in Interlaken Ost from Luzern, and board it as soon as possible after it arrives, you might have a good chance of getting your preferred seats.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 18:47:31 #879906

If I did want to make reservations on Centovalli, how do I go about this? I have swiss rail passes that I purchased through Rail Europe. The Rail Europe site doesn’t show any of these trains, and the sbb.ch site doesn’t seem to have a place to do so- it just seems to take me in circles. Maybe it’s too early? Definitely stymied here.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 March 2018 at 21:07:19 #879907

Probably way too early Jenn but nearer the time go to http://www.sbb.ch/ticketshop/ b2c/adw.do?sprache=en&artikelnumm er=1993

• The thread ‘Reservation needed or desirable on Locarno FART?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.