Reservations for chocolate train and golden pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2014 at 9:09:47 #806351

Hello,As a part of our trip to Switzerland in July, we are planning to take a trip on the chocolate train and golden pass from Montreux to Interlaken and further from Interlaken to Lucerne. We will be taking a swiss pass (2nd class).Can anyone please advise on if we need to make any reservations before going there and if yes how early should these reservations be made.Thank you so much

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 May 2014 at 6:35:16 #839891

Hello deepab,

Regarding the Golden Pass line, please see here: http://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass/tickets

The Chocolate Train needs to be booked. Theoretically you can book just before the trip, but the train can be booked out. So, the earlier the better. You can usually book 2 to 3 months in advance: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/reservations

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2014 at 6:39:30 #839892

Thanks for the response and the links.They are very useful .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2014 at 11:56:08 #839893

Hello Arno,

I read at a couple of places that for the 2nd class golden pass trains, a reservation is not required. However when I checked on the website for goldenpass trains, I found that reservations for these trains can be done. So was wondering whether July being a peak season, it is better if we do the reservations. Also we are 4 of us travelling together. So would it be possible for us to get seats together without a reservation?

We will have much more flexibility if we do not reserve, however if it is required, we can do it.

Thanks for all the help.

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 May 2014 at 12:36:42 #839894

Hi deepab,

On the page I gave you in my previous post, it’s described like “You do not need seat reservations, but you can book seats if you want”. I can’t add much to that, except that I personally have not had any problems getting a seat on that line. Just be at station in time and it should be fine, but of course the only 100% guarantee is a seat reservation. It’s like you say: if you need to be flexible, don’t get reservations, if you want to be absolutely sure, get the seats here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2014 at 13:40:13 #839895

Thanks for the information Arno. You have been great help.

I am having another question . I was trying to do reservations for the chocolate train for 27th July. However it says that there are no available trains for this date. When I contacted them via the railcenter email id, they said that they could do the reservations for us and we need to share all the credit card details with them through email. I find sharing of credit card details through email very risky. I just wanted to check if you are aware of any other way of doing these reservations.

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 May 2014 at 13:57:01 #839896

Hi deepab,

I’m glad to help! Yes, it’s weird, I think they only have a certain number of seats for online booking, and some for offline booking. The Chocolate train can also be booked through http://www.raileurope.com/eur opean-trains/chocolate-train/how-to-book.html. However, this is the US site of Rail Europe and they do not ship to all countries (mainly to North America).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2014 at 19:27:14 #839897

Hi there, a couple of years ago when we wanted to go on the Chocolate train excursion we waited until we arrived in Switzerland then went to the railway station in Biel where we were staying and booked the seats and paid for them there and then for the train just 2 days later without any trouble. It was also in July so we expected it to be busy but the train was not fully booked even by the day of travel. Are you staying in Montreux for a few days? If so I suggest you go straight to the station on arriving and ask about reserving and buying tickets. Especially if you have a couple of dates to choose from I doubt you would have any trouble being able to book. It might be a solution for you anyway if you are worried about using your credit card online.

Hope you have a great time. Maggie

• The thread ‘Reservations for chocolate train and golden pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.