Reservations for Zurich HB to Chur necessary?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2022 at 21:45:07 #828477

Hello, we have Bernina Express seats reserved for Dec. 20, 2022, going from Chur to Tirano 8:32 to 12:49.

We are waiting for the 2 month window to open to get the Saver Day Pass to cover the ticket purchase for this AND for the IC train that goes from Zurich HB to Chur beforehand (either 6:38 to 7:52 or, if we are okay with the tight transfer time at Chur, 7:07 to 8:23.)

My question, is are we all set after this? Or should we ALSO reserve seats on the IC Zurich HB to Chur leg? I understand it is possible to reserve seats for this via the SBB reservations page:

http://www.sbb.ch/ticketshop/b2c/adw.do?1993

However I notice, when trying to reserve, it only goes up to the end of October for the 6:38 to 7:52 leg. If I choose any later date, it gives me a message “it is not possible to make the reservation for the route from Zurich HB to Chur. Train temporarily stopped.”

I know what the first thought that comes to mind is on that: It means I am trying to reserve too far out in advance. But I notice that when I choose the 7:07 to 8:23 leg, I can reserve all the way up to Dec. 8 before it starts giving me the above message.

What gives? I hope it doesn’t actually mean they won’t be running either of these trains after Dec. 8.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2022 at 22:58:24 #947596

There is no need to reserve seats on main line trains in Switzerland. A train going out of a major city at peak hour is highly unlikely to be full. In 60 years of travelling on Swiss trains I have never once reserved a seat. Swiss main line trains operate on a frequent, high capacity, regular interval system, more like a giant city metro or subway system. This is nothing like – for example USA or Canada where inter city trains are few and far between.

The 07.07 train from Zurich HB to Chur is the official connection to the Bernina Express. The trains will be opposite each other on the same platform at Chur, so you will have plenty of time to change trains – the short time is quite normal on the efficient Swiss Travel System. However if you get an earlier train from Zurich you would have time to grab a coffee at Chur station.

Note that in the new 2023 timetable the times have changed very slightly:

Zurich 07.07

Chur platform 9 arrive 08.22

Chur platform 10 depart 08.28

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2022 at 23:38:30 #947597

Thank you! So platform 10 is the Bernina Express? Is the 10 minutes enough time to get off the incoming train, find the Bernina Express, and find the right cabin?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 October 2022 at 1:34:56 #947598

Yes, it definitely is.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 October 2022 at 6:10:03 #947599

Hi Leon,

as 1960man already wrote, you do not have to reserve your seats on the Zurich – Chur trip. You can read more about the seat reservation in Switzerland here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/reservations/howtouse.

You can already get your Saver Day Pass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass/price. (Look for the link of HappyRail).

Ildiko

Learn more about the Bernina Express: http://www.myswissalps.com/berninaexpress

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 October 2022 at 22:56:24 #947600

Yes, the two trains will be less than 10 metres apart across the same platform.

• The thread ‘Reservations for Zurich HB to Chur necessary?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.