Reservations and upgrade on Glacier Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2017 at 23:55:35 #813266

Hi MySwissAlps Team,

Apologies for asking this question, as you may have answered it many times before amongst all the posts!

We have a 2nd Class Swiss Travel Pass. Firstly, I’m trying to make the reservation for the Glacier Express from St Moritz to Zermatt on the 1st Oct, but the websites on the link from here shows me there are no tickets available. I’m hoping to book 1st class seats.

I just spoke to a rep at Rail Plus Australia who advised me I’m not able to upgrade to 1st class seats if I have a 2nd class pass. Is that correct? She is still looking into it, but she said one option may be to do it locally when I’m in Switzerland.

Another question is when I tried to make the reservation, it takes me through the pages to look for the train and schedule, select the class, enter traveler’s details etc, then to shopping cart, but nowhere can I see where I can look at the carriage map and select the actual seats. I would assume that’s the whole point of making the reservation?

Thanks again in advance

Colin

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 September 2017 at 2:59:50 #869827

Hi Colin,

>> We have a 2nd Class Swiss Travel Pass. Firstly, I’m trying to make the reservation for the Glacier Express from St Moritz to Zermatt on the 1st Oct, but the websites on the link from here shows me there are no tickets available. I’m hoping to book 1st class seats.

First class is fully booked out for the services from St Moritz to Zermatt on 1 October. At the moment there are still 8 seats left in 2nd class for the 8:02 departure, including 4 window seats. You can choose your preferred seats if you book on the Glacier Express website.

https://shop.glacierex press.ch/gex_en

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 September 2017 at 4:12:02 #869828

Hi Colin,

You wrote “I just spoke to a rep at Rail Plus Australia who advised me I’m not able to upgrade to 1st class seats if I have a 2nd class pass. Is that correct?

Well Rail Plus Australia may not be able to do it but it is dead easy. So the answer to your question “Is that correct?” is most definitely NO. You just buy a 1st class upgrade for the specific journey either on line via the SBB mobile app or at a station. This of course doesn’t help with your seat reservation issue but just so you know if you ever want to upgrade along the way.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2017 at 8:07:39 #869829

Hi Alpenrose666 and Rockoyster,

All sorted! Thanks again for your replies.

1 week until we arrive in Switzerland!

Cheers

Colin

• The thread ‘Reservations and upgrade on Glacier Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.