How to make reservations on Golden Pass route?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2017 at 23:43:41 #812964

How do I make a reservation on the Golden Pass train with Swiss Travel pass??

Will be in Zurich on 8/26. Looking to get the 4 day Swiss Travel pass and travel from Lucern to Montreux on 8/28/17. Not sure how to make the reservations on the Golden Pass panoramic train with the Swiss Travel pass.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2017 at 1:20:08 #868347

Hi ushapin, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can make reservations for the Golden Pass route here:

reservations.mob.ch/re servation/reservation/ reservation/reservatio n/reservation/reservat ion/reservation/reserv ation/reservation/rese rvation/f?p=151:1:25244818157760 53::NO:::

The Golden Pass route is in three sections:

Luzern to Interlaken Ost

Interlaken Ost to Zweisimmen

Zweisimmen to Montreux

Reservations are optional, but recommended for the Zweisimmen to Montreux sector, as that will be very busy.

If you are travelling in a family group and/or want to be sure of a window seat, you might also consider making reservations for the other sectors, as you are travelling in peak season. There will be a separate reservation charge for each sector you decide to make a reservation for.

Reservations are separate from tickets. You won’t need a ticket, because you have a Swiss Travel Pass, which provides free travel on the Golden Pass route. There is no discount for reservations, which cost CHF 8.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2017 at 16:14:47 #868348

Hi Alpenrose666

Please note the reservation fee for Golden Train is CHF 10. I had been charged for this when booking for 25/8 journey in June

Doris

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2017 at 18:36:12 #868349

Thanks!!! appreciate the quick and very helpful response.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2017 at 0:12:57 #868350

Hi Doris,

>> Please note the reservation fee for Golden Train is CHF 10. I had been charged for this when booking for 25/8 journey in June

Please see attached screenshot, showing the reservation fee of CHF 8 for the Golden Pass train.

Here is the website, so you can confirm for yourself:

reservations.mob.ch/re servation/reservation/ reservation/reservatio n/reservation/reservat ion/reservation/reserv ation/reservation/rese rvation/f?p=151:1:15748707292293 52::NO:::

Where did you buy your more expensive reservation?

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2017 at 1:32:35 #868351

Good morning Alpenrose666

I bought from the website as you described. Please see the attachment

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2017 at 2:53:44 #868352

Hi Doris,

>> I bought from the website as you described. Please see the attachment

Thanks for pointing that out! I had always assumed that reservations cost the same on each sector of the Golden Pass route, but it turns out each sector is different:

Luzern to Interlaken Ost: CHF 10

Interlaken Ost to Zweisimmen: CHF 5

Zweisimmen to Montreux: CHF 8

Alpenrose

beenaeem
    Participant
    29 posts
    16 August 2017 at 22:09:12 #868353

Reserve the seats from zweisimmen to montreux otherwise u have to stand.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2017 at 2:43:27 #868354

Appreciate the helpful information….yes I have made reservations on the three sectors without any trouble. I do see some sectors have fewer seats available. I just hope the we will be able to get off and connect to the following trains within the short time allotted as we will have our luggage with us. One pull on bag each. Thanks to all who posted on this thread!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2017 at 7:58:07 #868355

Connection times shouldn’t be a problem at all. The less time you have the smaller the station you have to navigate (like Zweisimmen). The schedule is built to be manageable – just don’t dawdle. 🙂

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2017 at 2:58:56 #868356

Was about to order the 4 day 1st class Swiss travel pass.. was wondering if I should order the 2nd class pass and then upgrade as and when we travel. Trying to save some money just in case we do not travel much on a day or two. How does the upgrade work and where do I find the prices for the upgrade for the Golden Pass?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2017 at 14:29:13 #868357

Hi ushapin,

Yes, that is a popular option. Most people use first class only on panoramic trains, or when regional trains are especially busy (as there are less people in 1st).

You can always upgrade your ticket to 1st for any train journey. This can be done at the rail station (you need to ask for a Klassenwechsel (upgrade ticket), online at the SBB website, or on the mobile app (explained here) if you get it.
    Upgrades cost half of the price difference between 1st and 2nd class.

Lucas

beenaeem
    Participant
    29 posts
    18 August 2017 at 16:52:18 #868358

Hi

I had swiss travel pass for 4 days for 2nd class. There was no space so i went to 1st class. I didnt find any difference. If u want to save money i think u dont need even to upgrade the ticket for golden pass route to first class. But yes do make reservation this way u wont have to stand. Though reservation means u have to walk in the train to get to the right seat .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2017 at 18:13:23 #868359

HI,

I took reservation from Zweisman to Montruex but seriously there is very less probablity that you will need it. You try to board train as early as it comes

Also if you are not reserving seat, make sure the seats on which you sit are not reserved. They generally keep a paper or cloth to tell about reservation

Thanks

pvonk
    Participant
    378 posts
    31 August 2017 at 16:18:28 #868360

As reported above: “Reservations are optional, but recommended for the Zweisimmen to Montreux sector”

This was in reply to someone’s trip in late August.

1) My son and I are planning a trip that includes Montreux-Interlaken-Lucerne in **mid October**. Are reservations still recommended at that time of year? We will be continuing on to Zurich for a plane home. I’ve read the suggestions that upgrading to 1st class is a possibility if seats in 2nd class are full, something we would do. If still recommended, could we buy reservations for the Montreux-Zweisman leg the day before at Montreux?

2) We’re planning to have a Swiss Travel Pass for this trip. However, we don’t want to travel straight through from Montreux to Zurich. Can we exit the Golden Pass train at Interlaken and later at Lucerne to spend a night or two at each and then board the Golden Pass to continue the trip?

3) We’ll be carrying small suitcases for the entire trip – any problems with that on the train?

Thanks for any help offered.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2017 at 17:38:26 #868361

Hi Pvonk and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. No, I wouldn’t worry about reservations in mid-October. If you want you can upgrade to 1st class for sure, or make a reservation the day before.
    2. You can use the Swiss Travel Pass to hop on and off any train you like! It is all about flexibility. See the coverage are of the Swiss Travel Pass here.
    3. Not a problem at all – lots of room on all the trains for luggage

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 September 2017 at 19:18:39 #868362

Hello All,

I am travelling on 21st Sept Thursday from Wengen to Paris via golden pass route ( Wengen -> Spiez -> Zweissimmen -> Montreux – > Laussane -> Paris ( TGV Lyria )

Wengen -> Spiez : I would start at 5:38 AM from Wengen so that I can catch the train from Zweissimmen to Montreux at 8:25 AM or max 09:05 AM train

Do I need to reserve this leg of my journey ? I have a swiss pass and I havent reserved any part of my train journey..

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 September 2017 at 22:52:31 #868363

I don’t think so. It can get busy in the summer but by now tourist crowds have died down and you should be fine.

If you want to be safe and make a reservation you can do so here.

Lucas

• The thread ‘How to make reservations on Golden Pass route?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.