Reserving Golden Pass with Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2018 at 23:40:38 #817127

Hope some one can help me work this out. I am attempting a ‘dummy’ booking from Montreux to Wengen via Zweisimmen on the 17th August. It is around 9.30 in the morning and comes up as MOB. Perfect so far . …(I think) At the moment we are leaning toward the Swiss Travel Pass.

I have edited this!

I can see by going in on MOB how to reserve seats. This would be the leg between Montreux and Zweisimmen. Between Zweisimmen and Wengen (via Interlake Ost) I would just take the regular trains that suit? Which seats are the best to reserve? I know on the suggested route, the right side is preferred, but as we are going in reverse direction the left?…. I will try to find a link that shows the interior of the Goldenpass train- so I book facing the right way…..and adjacent to my husband…Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Much appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2018 at 4:32:52 #890432

>> I can see by going in on MOB how to reserve seats. This would be the leg between Montreux and Zweisimmen … Which seats are the best to reserve? I know on the suggested route, the right side is preferred, but as we are going in reverse direction the left?

Both sides provide great views. I don’t think you would be disappointed with either side. In particular, on the climb out of Montreux, the train zigzags many times, so each side of the train alternates getting the magnificent view down to Lac Léman (Lake Geneva):

>> I will try to find a link that shows the interior of the Goldenpass train- so I book facing the right way…..and adjacent to my husband…Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

If you book directly on the Golden Pass reservation site, you can view the seat layout and choose your own seats:

reservations.mob.ch/re servation/reservation/ reservation/reservatio n/reservation/reservat ion/reservation/reserv ation/reservation/rese rvation/f?p=151:1:43518219191054 51::NO:::

(Change the language at the top of the page if necessary.)

>> Between Zweisimmen and Wengen (via Interlake Ost) I would just take the regular trains that suit?

Yes. If you use the Swiss Timetable and input the following, it will give you the best connections all the way to Wengen. A six-minute transfer at Zweisimmen is standard and achievable.

• From Montreux
    • To Wengen
    • Via Zweisimmen

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2018 at 5:02:45 #890433

Thank you very much. I did exactly that, just want to make sure we’re not facing backwards…..My seat selection is on a par with my map reading. Im thinking where there are 4 seats, the little blob in the middle is a table…..The double seats….?.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2018 at 8:02:38 #890434

Yes, that is a little table on the side for seat groups of 4.

A group of 4 has the table and a little space between seats. It is mostly groups of 4 seats. I’m not sure about any “double seats”. Seats that look quite close together are facing in opposite directions (part of the other group of 4 if that makes sense. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2018 at 5:28:13 #890435

>> The double seats….?.

Maybe you were looking at the seat layout in a first-class carriage, where there is a group of 4 seats on one side of the aisle, and two seats facing each other on the other side.

I have attached some photos showing the inside of a 1st class carriage on the Golden Pass route.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2018 at 6:34:53 #890436

Thank you Alpenrose, you are correct! If we have the Swiss Travel Pass, I think we will be perfectly comfortable in second class. Thank you Lucas too. We have travelled by train elsewhere before… but my husband hates sitting ‘the wrong way’….I’m guessing we will enjoy it wherever we sit.

Cheers

Mittens

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2018 at 7:59:30 #890437

>> I think we will be perfectly comfortable in second class.

So I take it that – although you had been looking at a first-class carriage seat layout – you didn’t reserve your seats in that one, but rather in a second-class one with groups of four seats on each side of the aisle!

>> my husband hates sitting ‘the wrong way’

So you wouldn’t rather have a window seat each, with your husband facing forwards and you facing backwards?

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2018 at 5:55:56 #890438

I am train and map challenged…. and possibly parsimonious! Haven’t booked yet.

First class ticket with a second class travel pass…

The cost for ‘half fare card’ 16.50 each. We will (maybe!) have a Swiss Travel Pass- second class. To upgrade to first class it says is 12.50.

Is there anything else we need to add please?

I know there is food available on the train, but would it be frowned upon to bring a paper bag with a sandwich from Migros?

Thanks,

Mittens

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2018 at 12:15:03 #890439

If you want to go in 1st class you’ll just need 1st class seat reservation and pay the upgrade charge before getting on the train.

Totally acceptable to bring food on board all trains in Switzerland! 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2018 at 12:25:41 #890440

Thank you Lucas!

how about a small bottle of wine?

Cheers

Mittens

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2018 at 12:31:39 #890441

No problem – it’s Europe! 😉

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2018 at 22:54:07 #890442

I have just realised that we will be on the 9.40 train….a little early for a tipple! Still it’s nice to know that we may share a wine on one of our later train journeys.

In regard to the Golden Pass Panorama train, it looks like the front seats are booked, so I’m hoping in the middle will still be good.

Mittens

• The thread ‘Reserving Golden Pass with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.