Reserving train seats Bregenz to Milan via Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2019 at 5:12:51 #822241

I have a question about SBB and hoping someone here can help. I didn’t see any way to ask SBB on their website….

I am trying to purchase tickets from Bregenz to Milan (change train in Zurich HB) in August. I found the times and trains (EC196 and EC319) on the SBB website. Everything is good except the only thing stopping me from purchasing right now is a question is about the seat reservations.

The SBB website says seat reservations are recommended for the Bregenz to Zurich train (CHF 5) and compulsory for the Zurich to Milan train (free). I agreed to get seat reservations on both trains and the system says it gave us 1 window seat + 1 window seat for both trains. I think it is choosing “best available” which is probably a window view, but we don’t both need windows if we would be sitting in different rows. SBB does not tell me if we are sitting in the same row or facing each other or even in the same car. I don’t really care which car we are in, but I would like to sit next to my wife and prefer one of us has a window seat.

Is there any way to see what seats SBB has chosen?

Or are the seats changeable if I purchase them (blindly) and then find out the seats after I get them?

I am in the US, so I will be printing them out. From the rules, it sounds like by printing them, I lose my ability to get a refund/exchange if needed, but I guess that is ok. If I am going to reserve seats, though, I would like to reserve our two seats together. Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 June 2019 at 5:27:34 #915018

If you have 1 window seat + 1 window seat then you will be facing each other. The reservation system attempts to put fellow travellers together but you don’t get to choose specific seats. I had a feeling they gave you a chance to nominate preference eg window, aisle etc but not sure how that works with 2 passengers. Chances are if you are in a 2 x 2 seating arrangement in second class then one or other of the people in the aisle seats next to you would be happy to swap for a window seat.

I have never seen a seat plan for SBB trains apart from the main tourist panoramic trains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2019 at 16:24:05 #915019

Ok thanks RockOyster. You are correct that it gave me options for cabins and seats. The first time I tried to book I choose the type of cabin and Window + Middle for one of the trains and only had the option for the cabin type on the other train. The system denied the cabin type and the middle seat. It gave my window + window. I couldn’t figure out how to “go back” through the steps, nor could I figure out how to remove my reservation, so I started another reservation and then chose “no preference” or “best available” instead of choosing options. It also gave me Window + Window. I couldn’t find any way to see what car or aisle. I would imagine, like you say, the system would try to keep people together. I just didn’t know since I’ve never booked a train in Switzerland before. Maybe they won’t be full anyways, but it’s August and only cost 5 to reserve so I figured might as well. Sounds like we will be ok with the system choice. Thanks for the reassurance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2019 at 4:51:32 #915020

Well I went ahead and purchased the tickets from sbb. While I was buying them, it said 1 window + 1 window. After I bought them, I printed the pdf tickets and in one place the Bregenz to Zurich tickets say “CAR 305” and “02 SEATS” and “MIDDLE AISLE” and next to that “75 76” and “2 WINDOW” (and similarly, the Zurich to Milan tickets say “CAR 006′ and “02 SEATS” and “MIDDLE AISLE” and next to that “51 52” and “2 WINDOW”)… so I guess I have seats now, but I am confused. For instance, on the Bregenz to Zurich train, I am in CAR 305 and I think 75 and 76 are the seat numbers. My preference would have been “a window seat + the seat next to it” but I think we either have a “a middle seat + an aisle seat” or we have two window seats facing each other (like you said) which would be fine. Are you able to tell from what I am describing? Thanks.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 June 2019 at 5:00:31 #915021

No idea. But 75 and 76 sound pretty adjacent as do 51 and 52. They are not like an airline with a window, middle and aisle. Only 2 seats at most next to one another. I think you will be next to one another but if not, like I said just do a deal with a fellow traveller.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2019 at 5:11:35 #915022

Ok perfect. If the seats are just in sets of two (with no middle seats) then we should be fine either way they have it arranged. I’m sure my questions will seem stupid once we take our first swiss train ride, but unfortunately I am needing to book some of the trains in advance. But thanks again for your reassurance 🙂

• The thread ‘Reserving train seats Bregenz to Milan via Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.