Reversing directions on Swiss narrow gauge trains

• jlovda
    Participant
    51 posts
    22 August 2017 at 15:07:53 #813051

About 15 yrs ago, I rode on the Bernina Express (a local version). I wanted to see the Brusio circular viaduct but did not want to spend any more time going further south. At small stations, the trains pass each other. It appears that if you are lucky and your train reaches the station first, you can jump off the train and in a minute or two jump on the other train going the other direction as they pass. If your train is the second to arrive you have to wait an hour for the next train. Is there a way you can ask the conductor to have the other train stop for thirty seconds so you can jump across the tracks?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2017 at 16:15:05 #868833

Hi Jlovda,

You can always ask…but don’t jump across the tracks unless there is a marked crossing – a big, dangerous no no here! 🙂
    As far as I’m aware they don’t hold trains unless there were many people and it was an important connection for them. Even then it’s 50/50 I think – as the Swiss like their trains to run on time.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 2:50:28 #868834

Hi John,

Have you ever tried getting a bus to the bus stop “Brusio, Pergola”, which is quite near to the Brusio Viaduct? The bus is #702, and the railway stations it connects with are: Poschiavo, Li Curt, Le Prese, Miralago and Campocologno. The timetable is highly variable according to day of the week and season, but with a bit of careful planning you could probably make it work.

From the bus stop, you can walk up the road a bit to a lane called “Borgo”, which will take you right up to the viaduct, where you can walk around. I haven’t been there myself, but I have followed that lane in Google Maps Street View, and there is an information board near the viaduct, indicating it’s a public area, and not out-of-bounds. There’s also a seat right next to the railway track a bit further on (see attached Google Maps screenshot). You can check it out further in Google Maps Street View. Obviously it’s not an elevated location, but you might be able to take some photos you are happy with.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Reversing directions on Swiss narrow gauge trains’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.