RHB Bernina Express bus Lugano to Tirano

• ChrisSass
    Participant
    24 posts
    9 August 2017 at 11:50:11 #812894

I’m having same problems that other people have had trying to book this leg

on the web page , it will not do it.

put date in Selected Lugano to Tirano , it then asked me to choose , it would then not click over to the next part where you put passenger info in.

It showed a green dot i.e available then showed a red dot not available

then i went back tried again The RHB Web page is not working properly!!!

Wed 13/9/17 1000 to 1300 Bus

Lugano to Tirano bus , i was sent link by Selina at Rhatische Bahn

Gave up after about 3 attempts.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2017 at 16:52:09 #868091

Hi ChrisSass,

It does sound like a website issue you experienced. When I try now it shows no availability (only red dots).

Was Selena at Rhatische Bahn not able to make a reservation for you over the phone or by email when you were in contact? It may be sold out now or may be a system issue. Either way I would contact them directly and try to book with them over the phone or via e-mail.

Lucas

ChrisSass
    Participant
    24 posts
    10 August 2017 at 8:18:07 #868092

Was e mailed back the bus is sold out, which is a shame as we now have to double back to Bellinzona and catch a bus to Thusis to get back up to Pontresina .Then come back down day 4.

They were available 3 months in advance and sold out . So for all those afrer Lugano to Tirano or opposite way get em booked 3 months before

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2017 at 12:29:49 #868093

HI Chris,

Yes that’s a good tip. The panoramic trains/buses can sell out fast.

I’m sure the trip will still be great and you’ll have a blast here!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2017 at 1:55:52 #868094

>> we now have to double back to Bellinzona and catch a bus to Thusis to get back up to Pontresina

It will be inconvenient to have to get to Pontresina via Bellinzona and Thusis, but the bus from Bellinzona to Thusis is a very scenic route, and for your train trip from Thusis to Pontresina, you have the option of getting a train with a photographers’ viewing area between Thusis and Samedan. These are denoted in the timetable with the letters “FW”.

There is information about the bus trip here, and please note that reservations are compulsory (and free)! There is a link to make reservations online.

http://www.postauto.ch/en/exc ursion-tips/chur-bellinzona-route

I have attached some photos taken during a bus trip from Bellinzona to Thusis.

Alpenrose

ChrisSass
    Participant
    24 posts
    11 August 2017 at 3:23:11 #868095

Looks like a very scenic way to see a different corner of Switzerland by Bus.If any body has other suggested bus detours!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2017 at 5:30:51 #868096

>> If any body has other suggested bus detours!

If you mean other options for getting from Lugano to Pontresina, there are two other bus options:

:: Palm Express from Lugano to St. Moritz via Lake Como, Chiavenna and Maloja Pass (3.75 hours)

One departure daily around midday, reservations compulsory

From St Moritz, you can get to Pontresina by train or bus.

http://www.postauto.ch/en/exc ursion-tips/palm-express

If you are interested, you can read my trip report on the Palm Express trip (with photos) under the heading Locarno to St. Moritz on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-late-august-to-mid-october-2016

:: San Bernardino Pass, Splügen Pass and Maloja Pass route (6.75 hours)

This is a much longer option, but you will get to go over three mountain passes, and have a short break (28 minutes) at the village of Splügen and town of Chiavenna (51 minutes around lunch time) if you leave Lugano at 8:11.

The route is:

Lugano-Bellinzona – train

Bellinzona-Splügen via San Bernardino Pass – bus 171 (reservations compulsory)

Splügen-Chiavenna via Splügen Pass – bus 561

Chiavenna-St Moritz via Maloja Pass – bus 4

St Moritz – Pontresina – train (or bus)

I have attached a copy of a possible itinerary and map.

Here is some information about the Splügen Pass route:

http://www.postauto.ch/en/exc ursion-tips/spluegen-pass-route

http://www.graubuenden.ch/en/ explore-regions/viamala/spluge n-pass-2113-metres-above-sea-level

Alpenrose

ChrisSass
    Participant
    24 posts
    11 August 2017 at 9:15:22 #868097

Thanks for the suggestions Alpenrose 4 weeks to go

Hope Sept is a good clear month

ChrisSass
    Participant
    24 posts
    11 August 2017 at 9:20:29 #868098

Like the last option but the 8.11 Start !

we dont need to get to Pontresina till tea time so weve got all day to play

on the bus routes in the area, i like your 3 Passes suggestion so ill do some

research and see if it can be done with a later start time, if not were up

early on Day 2 of our Swiss Travel Adventure.

From Chris

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2017 at 0:29:53 #868099

Hi Chris,

>> we dont need to get to Pontresina till tea time so weve got all day to play on the bus routes in the area, i like your 3 Passes suggestion so ill do some research and see if it can be done with a later start time, if not were up early on Day 2 of our Swiss Travel Adventure.

Unfortunately that is the only set of connections that will work for that particular route. The bus over the Splügen Pass betwen Splügen and Chiavenna only runs three times a day: 8:20, 10:20 and 17:15. Only the 10:20 departure is really suitable for being incorporated into a trip from Lugano to Pontresina.

As you have extra time, you might like to consider having a look around St Moritz on your way through. Luggage can be left in the railway station lockers, and you can get a free town map from the information counter inside the station. You can walk around the lake, which is close to the station, and/or go up to St Moritz Dorf to have a look around the town.

The town centre is about 500 metres uphill from the station, and you can get a bus or walk. By bus, get Bus #3 to the “Schulhausplatz” stop. This bus is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass if you have one.

If you prefer to walk up, exit the station to the left (on the side away from the lake), and walk past the bus stop area to the Serletta Parkhaus (parking garage). Inside the garage is Switzerland’s longest escalator, that takes you up to the street called Via Serlas, where you will emerge next to Badrutt’s Palace hotel. From there you can just follow your nose and stroll around the town.

From inside the Serletta Parkhaus, before going up the escalator, you can walk out onto a little viewing platform overlooking the lake.

Alpenrose

ChrisSass
    Participant
    24 posts
    12 August 2017 at 2:04:55 #868100

Just posted a new thread

Is this 1-day itinerary to Alp Grüm too much?

Where i hope to do the above suggested 3 pass by bus route

To St Moritz but also take in

Some of The Bernina.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 August 2017 at 22:30:43 #868101

Hi Alpenrose-

Love the moods in the pictures you posted on the 11th at 1:55. Particularly Splügen to San Bernardino.

Were any taken from the bus/train through glass? If so, you did very well indeed.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2017 at 4:22:48 #868102

Hi Slowpoke,

>> Love the moods in the pictures you posted on the 11th at 1:55. Particularly Splügen to San Bernardino.

Thanks for your kind comments about my photos. Cloud cover can often be a nuisance when taking photos, but when clouds are in the right place, or are interesting shapes, they can certainly add to the mood or beauty of a scene.

>> Were any taken from the bus/train through glass? If so, you did very well indeed.

Yes, they were all taken through the bus window. I’m always delighted when they turn out well, but it is only a matter of luck of course. If the reflections are near enough to the edge of photos, I crop them out. However, I would always rather take a photo with reflections in it than not take it at all!

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘RHB Bernina Express bus Lugano to Tirano’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.