Rhine Falls from Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2017 at 0:53:33 #813354

Hello team,

I am planning to visit the Rhein Falls. My base for the entire stay in Switzerland is Interlaken. As I was checking the time table, the journey time from Interlaken to Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall is roughly 3 hours. Given I have to come back to Interlaken, can you please help me plan my day to include other activities / visit any nearby city or attractions; so that I can fully justify dragging my partner to the Falls ? 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2017 at 1:20:31 #870180

My first advice would be: give the Rhein Falls a miss 😉 They are probably the least impressive of all the famous sights in Switzerland, and (in my opinion) definitely not worth a 6-hour return trip.

However, if you are determined to see them, and are prepared for an extremely long day, you could also visit the pretty medieval village of Stein am Rhein. There’s a trip report and some photos here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/stein-am-rhein-easy-day-trip-from-zurich

To plan your day, use the Swiss Timetable: “From Interlaken Ost” “To Interlaken Ost” “via Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall” “via Stein am Rhein” and put in how many hours you want to spend at the Rheinfall and in Stein am Rhein. Then decide whether such a day is really worth it, given the vastly superior scenic beauty and wealth of activities in the Jungfrau Region!

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 September 2017 at 5:24:17 #870181

I would echo Alpenrose’s first advice. I visited the Falls in spring which is the best time as the snow melt turns it in to a raging torrent. We only went because we were visiting relatives on that side of Switzerland. My son visited in autumn and said it was a bit boring. If you exhaust things to do around Interlaken(which I’d be surprised if you did in your 5 days) take a ride down to Zermatt or a day trip to Lucerne.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2017 at 10:54:26 #870182

Hello Alpenrose666 and rockoyster

Thank you for valuable suggestions.

I have decided to give the Falls a miss. It makes more sense as it is not the best time to visit and not worth a 6- hour trip. As Rockosyter suggested, I am planning a day trip to Zermatt and Lucerne (two separate days). Any suggestions would be really helpful . Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 September 2017 at 8:13:34 #870183

Hello

I have added links to rockoyster’s contribution, taking you to information about attractions to explore in Interlaken, Zermatt and Lucerne. Sure you’ll find lots to do whilst staying in Interlaken – on the lakes, up to peaks and in the town itself. It’s a great base for your visit.

• The thread ‘Rhine Falls from Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.