Riederalp/Bettmeralp off season hike?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
IleanaF
IleanaF
3 posts
Jan 9, 2019 - 6:32 PM

Hello!

My husband, 3 yr old, and I are going to Valais early June and we wanted to see the Aletsch Glacier so I had a couple questions before we finish planning our trip.

1. Because we are going a week before the cable cars begin going up to Moosfluh, bettmerhorn, etc, is it possible to hike to the glacier views with a small child from Riederalp or Bettmeralp? Is one town easier than another to hike from for the views? Cable cars that go up towards moosfluh for example begin on June 9th, and we would be coming June 5-8.

2. Because it's off season, should we stay somewhere else down the valley (quaint town recommendations welcomed :) and do the glacier visit as a day trip, or would it be recommended to stay in Riederalp or Bettmeralp for a few days?

Thank you in advance!

- a very excited traveler

1960man
1960man
2170 posts
top member
Jan 10, 2019 - 12:28 AM in reply to IleanaF

You will be interested to hear that as a 9 year old (my 59th birthday is coming up in June...) I did exactly what you are wanting to do. We camped at Mörel and went up to Riederalp several different ways (there are/were two cable car routes - one of the two had only recently opened back then!).

All the villages along the valley are 'quaint'. As per the above, Mörel is one option. I have also stayed at Grengiols

You can also see the Aletsch Glacier from Eggishorn which is the mountain top above Fiesch, a slightly larger village. Betten is best avoided as it is very hemmed in in a narrow section of the valley

Last modified on Jan 10, 2019 - 8:35 AM by Lucas
Arno
Arno
14064 posts
expert &
Jan 11, 2019 - 9:30 AM

Hi excited traveler,

Another tip for that area is to explore the other side of the valley too. For example, take the bus from Fiesch to Binn and do a day walk there.

Last modified on Jan 11, 2019 - 9:31 AM by Arno
IleanaF
IleanaF
3 posts
Jan 12, 2019 - 1:39 PM

Thank you for the prompt responses everyone! Good advice and I appreciate it. Binn looks like a really nice little spot. We are staying the first half of our trip on the other side of the valley so we will definitely have to check that out. Is it worth going up to Riederalp to see the glacier views even for a day trip? My only hesitation is having to hike from the town up to the views with a three year old.

Thank you again!

Ileana

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019