Riederalp/Bettmeralp off season hike?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 January 2019 at 18:32:28 #819418

Hello!

My husband, 3 yr old, and I are going to Valais early June and we wanted to see the Aletsch Glacier so I had a couple questions before we finish planning our trip.

1. Because we are going a week before the cable cars begin going up to Moosfluh, bettmerhorn, etc, is it possible to hike to the glacier views with a small child from Riederalp or Bettmeralp? Is one town easier than another to hike from for the views? Cable cars that go up towards moosfluh for example begin on June 9th, and we would be coming June 5-8.

2. Because it’s off season, should we stay somewhere else down the valley (quaint town recommendations welcomed 🙂 and do the glacier visit as a day trip, or would it be recommended to stay in Riederalp or Bettmeralp for a few days?

Thank you in advance!

– a very excited traveler

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2019 at 0:28:28 #901773

You will be interested to hear that as a 9 year old (my 59th birthday is coming up in June…) I did exactly what you are wanting to do. We camped at Mörel and went up to Riederalp several different ways (there are/were two cable car routes – one of the two had only recently opened back then!).

All the villages along the valley are ‘quaint’. As per the above, Mörel is one option. I have also stayed at Grengiols

You can also see the Aletsch Glacier from Eggishorn which is the mountain top above Fiesch, a slightly larger village. Betten is best avoided as it is very hemmed in in a narrow section of the valley

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 January 2019 at 9:30:01 #901774

Hi excited traveler,

Another tip for that area is to explore the other side of the valley too. For example, take the bus from Fiesch to Binn and do a day walk there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 January 2019 at 13:39:41 #901775

Thank you for the prompt responses everyone! Good advice and I appreciate it. Binn looks like a really nice little spot. We are staying the first half of our trip on the other side of the valley so we will definitely have to check that out. Is it worth going up to Riederalp to see the glacier views even for a day trip? My only hesitation is having to hike from the town up to the views with a three year old.

Thank you again!

Ileana

• The thread ‘Riederalp/Bettmeralp off season hike?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.