Rigi cogwheel train with Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2022 at 11:45:23 #828395

I will be using my Swiss Travel Pass to board the boat from Lucern to Vitznau. Once docked at Vitznau will I need to stand in line at the ticket booth or do I just show my STP as I board?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2022 at 13:42:56 #947164

Hi Nstpie,

at http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/howtouse you can read about how to use your Swiss Travel Pass.

I haven’t tried at Rigi, but from other mountains I have the experience, that yes, you need to stand in the line to get a free ticket.

I contacted Rigi Tourist Office, as soon as I get answer from them I will let you know.

UPDATE: you can skip the line at Rigi cogwheel train and board! 🙂

Ildiko

MySwissAlps.com recommends reading this: Validity area of the Swiss Travel Pass

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2022 at 17:16:15 #947165

The Rigi has long been one of the few mountains railways which are ‘walk on’ with the STP. The Vitznau – Rigi train waits adjacent to the lake side.

The reason Rigi is free is because a lot of the Rigi massif is populated so it counts as ‘normal’ country territory so must be served legally by the Swiss ‘official transport network’

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2022 at 22:41:02 #947166

Great! That is good news. I appreciate the information, thank you!

EASW
    Participant
    122 posts
    22 September 2022 at 1:21:51 #947167

You just show your STP as you board.👍

• The thread ‘Rigi cogwheel train with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.