Rigi to Schilthorn on the same day

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 15:22:57 #815506

Hello Friends,

I am thinking some itinerary like this and wanted to get experts opinion

Lucerne to Rigi

Morning Take a boat and go to Vitznau and then take cogwheel to Rigi , spend couple hrs there and then , I am thinking of going to Schilthorn from Rigi

what is the route option for me to go to Schilthorn from Rigi directly ? if you feel it is not advisable then I may end up going to Schilthorn from lucerne, if thats the case ,

Please confirm if i end up going to Schilthorn from Lucerne is this the route as spelled below ?

Lucerne to Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen and then bus to Stechelberg and then cable car from Gimmelwald to Murren and then to Schilthorn ? how long does it take from Lucerne to Schilthorn

Thanks,

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 18:18:52 #883101

Hi Euro2018,

It’s not doable to travel from Rigi to Schilthorn on the same day. Even from Lucerne it’s a long trip. Use the Swiss timetable to plan the trip: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. It will give you the exact details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 19:38:23 #883102

Hi,

Just did the Rigi trip today so I thought I’d add a note about timing. We took a 10:12 boat from Luzern to Vitznau and then the cograil train up to Rigi Kulm. With that trip, a little “hike” up to the summit, lunch at the restaurant, another “hike” (all downhill and paved) from Rigi Kulm down to Rigi Kaltbad, and then the return cogwheel/boat trip back, we didn’t arrive back in Luzern until around 17:00. If you’d like to not make such a full day of it, you could opt out of the Rigi Kulm-Rigi Kaltbad trek (or only stop to take a reasonable amount of photos instead of the 300 I stopped for) 🙂

Enjoy–it’s beautiful!

–Taryn

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 April 2018 at 23:39:40 #883103

Hi Taryn-

Did you find any “Philly Cheese Steaks in Switzerland? I grew up in Upper Darby, and attended college at U. Penn. 😉

To be more serious, If you went to Chänzeli (on one possible route down) did you get any good images toward Luzern or to the West? I have not had really clear weather there.

If so, could you post a couple? I suggest that walk here on the forum occasionally, and it would be nice to have a few pictures to add to the thread.

The ones that I attached were taken from just above Rigi Kaltbad.

Slowpoke

PS- If you post images, they have to be under 1 MB. If you need help resizing or resampling, let us know.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 19:53:00 #883104

Thanks all and Thanks Taryn,

Taryn, your message loud and clear for me to spend the day at Rigi,

Quick questions did you take the boat right opposite at Luzern Railway station to go to Vitznau and then the cogwheel train right at Vitznau docking area?

Taryn and others, which one is more scenic Classic round trip or Majestic Round trip ?

Also, to go to Schilthorn from Luzern, is this the route ? to me it looks like big commute and anyone can share how long does it take from Luzern to Schilthorn ?

Luzern to Interlaken by train

Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen by train

Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg by bus

Stechelberg to Murren by Cable Car

Murren to Birg by Cable Car

Birg to Schilthorn by Cable Car

Thanks,

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 April 2018 at 22:18:50 #883105

<<“Also, to go to Schilthorn from Luzern, is this the route ? to me it

looks like big commute and anyone can share how long does it take from

Luzern to Schilthorn ?”>>

Please use the timetable linked by Chantal. As shepointed out, it is a long trip.

It will give you timings for the rout you propose , or others if you wish to experiment.

The link she provided takes you to a useful instruction page first.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 23:54:46 #883106

>> Also, to go to Schilthorn from Luzern, is this the route ? to me it looks like big commute and anyone can share how long does it take from Luzern to Schilthorn ?

As Slowpoke mentioned, please use the Swiss Timetable. You don’t need to put in each sector separately: simply put in Luzern to Schilthorn.

If you want to come back a different way, put in Schilthorn to Luzern via Grütschalp.

This circular route is described by rockoyster in his post of Jan 27, 2018 – 2:11 AM on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/cable-car-from-lauterbrunnen-to-murren

There is a picture with the route marked on this page:

http://www.bellevuemuerren.ch /english/getting-there/

For any future posts, it would be helpful if you could include your travel dates. Mountain transport is seasonal, and if we don’t know your travel date, you could easily be given incorrect information.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2018 at 11:42:04 #883107

I truly appreciate all the information shared on this site. We feel “ready” for our trip in may. Arriving from Zurich , we have 2 days and 3 nights in Lucerne. Then off to Florence. After looking at travel time to the Schilthorn from Lucerne, we have opted to enjoy the beautiful town and countryside of Lucerne and stay locally. We want to savor what we can see and take advanatage of Rigi or Pilatus at our leisure. Looking forward to meeting people and enjoying the culture. We will save the Bernese Oberland for another time. l

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 April 2018 at 12:59:42 #883108

Hi Gail – not sure if you areuro2018 or not.

If not, welcome to My Swisss Alps!

Luzern ( local German spelling, pronounced pretty much the same way) can be quit nice in May. Spring will definitely be there at those altitudes….hope you don’t have rainy weather.

Apart from the many things on this list,

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

there are some nice hikes of varying duration around the lake.

Let us know if you want more information about hikes or walks.

An easy one that I enjoy is the walk to the Hammetschwand elevator from the Bürgenstock resort.

Hammetschwand (on the Bürgenstock peninsula), with a small mountain restaurant overlooking the lake and the surrounding mountains and Luzern itself, is accessible beginning some time in May. Actually, it seems to be open now.

http://www.buergenstock.ch/en /leisure/hammetschwand -lift

Besides the nice boat ride plus funicular described in the link, you can get to the pathway leading to the elevator by a circuitous bus route, as well. Cheaper; slower, less scenic.

I notice that they have now added a roof over the tables. Used to be large umbrellas. This should wotk better inn the rain. but might not feel as “open”

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2018 at 23:43:26 #883109

Hi Slowpoke, does STP covers all the way to Burgenstock including boat, funicular ? Im aware the lift doesn’t cover.

If someone has few extra hrs from 3 to 7pm in July, do you and others prefer weggis for sight seeing or this place ?

Thanks again

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2018 at 15:46:01 #883110

Hi Euro2018,

The only discounts offered on the boat and funicular to Bürgenstock is for Swiss Half Fare Card holders.

I’m not sure about Slowpoke (he is more familiar with the area than I am) but my first choice would be Bürgenstock.

• The thread ‘Rigi to Schilthorn on the same day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.