Road advice, Lucerne to Brunnen in May

• jm5245
    Participant
    16 posts
    4 March 2018 at 18:30:44 #814621

My wife and I will be in Lucerne, May 2nd to 7th. We are traveling with a car. We plan on parking it most of the time and taking excursions. We would like to take a road trip from Lucerne to brunnen. I have been looking at route 2b along the lake. It seems scenic with many little towns along the water to stop in.

Questions; what is the condition of route 2b in early May.

Is Festung Vitznau truly a scenic spot?

Is the Swiss army knife museum worth stopping in.

Thanks for your assitance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2018 at 9:10:51 #877767

Hi jm5245,

I’m not familiar with route 2b, but it sounds like you’re not crossing any mountain passes, so road conditions should be fine. More information about road and pass conditions can be found here.

I haven’t been to Festung Vitznau, nor to the Swiss army knife museum. I’ve heard people find the Festung Vitznau a great experience.

jm5245
    Participant
    16 posts
    5 March 2018 at 11:39:47 #877768

Thanks for the reply.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    6 March 2018 at 6:25:42 #877769

Hi there,

<< Questions; what is the condition of route 2b in early May >>. Answer: You will have absolutely no trouble at all on the 2 and then the 2b from Lucerne to Brunnen.

<< Is Festung Vitznau truly a scenic spot? >> Answer: There are scenic spots all over Switzerland, particularly around Lake Lucerne, and here is no difference. To give you an idea of the view, here is an image from Google Maps taken as you walk down the Oberdorfstrasse just a few metres from the entrance to the fortress. I assume, however, that you are primarily interested in visiting the underground fortress. Here is the website of the fortress; http://www.festung-vitznau.ch/www/en/01_w elcome_en.php I strongly suggest that you carefully read over the information on their website for when they are open. You can read about “Swiss Army Nights” where you can spend the night on a Swiss army bed, get the guided tour, and a “sumptuous” breakfast buffet for only CHF55 if you bring your own sleeping bag. They also have washroom and shower facilities. http://www.festung-vitznau.ch/www/en/05_o ffers_1_nights_en.php I’ve never been to this fortress but plan to do so next time I am over in that part of the country.

<< Is the Swiss army knife museum worth stopping in. >> Answer: If you like Swiss knives (I do, and have over two dozen in my collection) then this should be a hit. You can learn much about what there is to see at http://www.victorinox.com/glo bal/en/Explore/Visit-Us/Swiss-Knife-Valley-VISITOR-CENTER-Switzerland/cms/visito r-center

Bonus question for Slowpoke or Rockoyster or perhaps one of the Swiss residents: What are the two parallel lines of 7 circular and also 4 square objects in the road (red oval) in the second attached photograph ? Note to Arno: I couldn’t figure out how to delete the first attachment. How does one delete an attachment ?

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 March 2018 at 8:39:12 #877770

Hi Peterli,

I deleted the attachment for you. The ability to do it as a user is on our to do list, along with some other improvements related to forum attachments.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 March 2018 at 8:52:18 #877771

Hi Peterli,

I submitted my non-answer to you supplementary question elsewhere. I guess this page vanished temporarily while Arno was weaving his magic with it. 🤓

jm5245
    Participant
    16 posts
    6 March 2018 at 19:16:45 #877772

Thanks peterli

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 0:24:08 #877773

The villages along road 2B are tight up against the mountains, so parking can be a problem. The road by the nature of its route is also quite narrow and bendy

If I were you I’d take the lake steamer or a bus, you see the same views without the driving hassle.

• The thread ‘Road advice, Lucerne to Brunnen in May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.