Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Road trip from Amsterdam exploring Swiss mountains

Road trip from Amsterdam exploring Swiss mountains

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Wayne
Wayne
7 posts
Nov 30, 2019 - 9:40 AM

Morning everyone, I have only been using this site a week and am very impressed. With the kind advice from people. My trip next year is 14 days. As follows, disembark ferry at Amsterdam and drive to strasbourg for overnight stay. Then on to montreux for two nights. Then to Zermatt for two nights then a night in adelboden. Followed by three nights innertkirchen then lucerne two nights before an overnight at Nürburg on way back to Amsterdam. Hope to do rochers de naye, see Freddie Mercury.... Matterhorn, jungfraujoch and pilatus... Also do furka, susten and grimsel passes, hopefully top down. A lap of nurburgring to finish. Had planned verona and Innsbruck via stelvio but don't want 5hours in car every day. Plan on half fare passes for the train rides... Anything obvious wrong here??? Hoping it looks good.

Anna
Anna
322 posts
top member &
Nov 30, 2019 - 10:37 AM

Hi Wayne,

Good morning! I'm sure you've done some research planning your road trip, but just in case do read these before you begin your road adventure.

You may be using car trains on some part of your journey so this information is helpful too: www.myswissalps.com/ca r/cartrains

Do take that note some of the mountain passes you mentioned may be closed especially in winter. So do plan ahead.

Some places like Zermatt and the Jungraujoch are inaccessible by car so getting the Swiss Half Fare Card is a good idea. For more details, click this link: www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/price

For inspiration, I would use a combination of self-drive trips from these links as a guide:

A few more useful links for your trip:

Be sure to check this out
www.myswissalps.com/co 2compensation

Regards,

Anna

Last modified on Nov 30, 2019 - 5:03 PM by Anna
Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6919 posts
expert
Nov 30, 2019 - 5:24 PM in reply to Wayne

When?

Slowpoke

Wayne
Wayne
7 posts
Nov 30, 2019 - 5:48 PM in reply to Slowpoke

June 25th start

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6919 posts
expert
Nov 30, 2019 - 7:34 PM in reply to Wayne

Thanks - good dates. The high Alpine passes open sometime around the end of the first week of June.

Slowpoke

1960man
1960man
2318 posts
top member
Dec 1, 2019 - 12:45 AM

all looks good to me. Starts on my 60th birthday!

What accomodation are you using?

Assume you are going DFDS to Amsterdam?

Last modified on Dec 1, 2019 - 12:47 AM by 1960man
Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6919 posts
expert
Dec 1, 2019 - 12:49 AM in reply to Wayne

<<"A lap of nurburgring to finish. ">>

Are you predicting lap times, so that we compare you with the Porsche team?

Slowpoke

Wayne
Wayne
7 posts
Dec 1, 2019 - 7:52 AM in reply to 1960man

Lap time will not be great, I'll leave the quick stuff until I get back to the ps4.... At least I know the track 😂👍

Wayne
Wayne
7 posts
Dec 1, 2019 - 7:53 AM in reply to 1960man

Yeah, dfds.... Do not fancy driving down to Dover..... Good nigh ts kip and off fresh ready for six hours to strasbourg..... 😀

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
6919 posts
expert
Dec 1, 2019 - 7:59 AM in reply to Wayne

Hi Wayne-

Forgot to post these links earlier:

www.alpen-paesse.ch/en/

and, this one, which was included as a sub-link, in one of the links Anna provided:

www.tcs.ch/de/tools/ve rkehrsinfo-verkehrslage/paesse-in-der-schweiz.php

Slowpoke

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019