6 days Interlaken and Lucerne – rail pass needed?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 January 2018 at 16:28:57 #813976

Hi Everyone,

I am planning for Luzern 2 days and Interlaken (Lauterbrunnen) 4 days in last week of April. I have plans for Mt Rigi round trip, Mt Pilatus, Jungfrau , Interlaken and in and around villages. I am planning to go for either 3 days flex pass or 4 days consecutive pass assuming that I use one or two days for hiking from Lauterbrunnen.

I here ask below question, to see if I need to use pass day to roam around villages in Interlaken or not.

If I wish to cover near by villages from Lauterbrunnen to Grindelwald and Murren or Wengen by local transport in one day, how much it could probably cost without a pass?

Do you recommend to use pass to roam around Interlaken town?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 January 2018 at 17:38:21 #873844

Hi rajeshG, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

The best thing to do to find out which pass fits you best, is to check the prices of all your planned train, bus, gondola, boat tickets (you plan to take) and do the math to compare prices. We have a page here on how to choose the best rail pass that has a spreadsheet to help you.

You may want to include the Tell-Pass summer as well, in combination with a Half Fare Travel Card.

For shorter trips e.g. from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald you would not use a travel pass, however, if you combine them with your trip to Jungraujoch you will.

Keep in mind that April is not the best season for hiking. There are already some discussions going on on this forum. The search box at the top of the website is useful to find these discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 January 2018 at 4:09:24 #873845

>> I am planning for Luzern 2 days and Interlaken (Lauterbrunnen) 4 days in last week of April. I have plans for Mt Rigi round trip, Mt Pilatus, Jungfrau , Interlaken and in and around villages.

The cable car between Weggis and Rigi Kaltbad will be closed for maintenance between 3-27 April 2018, but you can still get up and back via the trains from Vitznau and Arth-Goldau.

The cogwheel train from Alpnachstad to Pilatus Kulm is closed for the winter, and will not recommence operating until the beginning or middle of May, depending on the weather. You can still go up and back on the cable way from Kriens though.

The train to the Jungfraujoch operates all year.

For getting to Mürren, the cable car from Lauterbrunnen to Grütschalp will be closed for maintenance from 30 April to 4 May 2018. During that time, you can get to Mürren via cable car from Stechelberg.

The cable car to the Schilthorn, which is free with the Swiss Travel Pass, will be closed for maintenance between 23-27 April 2018.

>> Do you recommend to use pass to roam around Interlaken town?

Unless you want to do shopping, I would avoid spending any time in Interlaken at all. It is a good transport hub, and has lots of hotels and shops. However, the general ambience and scenery cannot in any way compare with the villages of the Jungfrau Region. If you do spend time there, you can get everywhere on foot. And if you happen to take a town bus, the fare will be minimal.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 January 2018 at 9:25:13 #873846

Thank you both @chantal and @Alpenrose666.

Alpenrose666, You mentioned that we can almost walk around the villages in Jungfrau region. Thanks for this information. How about hiking trails to walk between these villages in the last week of April, do you think it would be difficult or not possible during this time? when (which month) does usually snow gets cleared in these villages?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 January 2018 at 9:59:54 #873847

>> You mentioned that we can almost walk around the villages in Jungfrau region.

I’m sorry, I wasn’t clear. I was referring to walking around Interlaken.

If you want to get from one Jungfrau Region village to another you will need to use trains and cable cars. Hiking is of course possible, but these hikes are long and demanding, with significant altitude changes, and April would not be a good time to attempt them.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 January 2018 at 10:16:57 #873848

@Alpenrose666,

Thanks for the information! Cheers 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 January 2018 at 10:26:08 #873849

>> Do you think walking/hiking around these villages from Lautenbrunnen is difficult or not possible during April end?

You will have to wait and see, as it will vary from year to year. However, the hikes up from Lauterbrunnen are pretty steep. In April, if the trails are open, I would expect walking conditions to be difficult, and trails likely to be muddy/slippery.

What is your hiking experience?

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 January 2018 at 12:42:35 #873850

Alpenrose,

I do not have much hiking experience. However, I am fit and can do around 10 to 15 kms on flat land and probably 6 to 8 km in such steep land. If it is mud/slippery I would certainly not dare to it.

Considering the closure of some cable cars and few other tourist spots in April, staying 4 days in this region doesn’t seem to be worthy. I will probably postpone my trip to July or Aug.

Thanks for your help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2018 at 1:11:36 #873851

>> I will probably postpone my trip to July or Aug.

That will certainly give you more options for activities. The downside will be the crowds. If the first half of September would be an option, that would be my choice. However, you can indeed get rain and fog at any time of the year.

Alpenrose.

• The thread ‘6 days Interlaken and Lucerne – rail pass needed?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.