News about rockslide accident in Bondo Switzerland

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
maggiehorswell
maggiehorswell
641 posts
top member
Aug 28, 2017 - 11:12 PM

Hi Lucas

Not a holiday related question this time. We heard here about the rockslide in the Bondasco Valley. But there has been no follow-up reporting so wondered whether they managed to locate the hikers they were searching for?

Maggie

OHGeologist
OHGeologist
95 posts
Aug 29, 2017 - 12:36 AM

We have friends that are to ride the Palm Express tomorrow from St. Moritz to Gandria...it goes right by the rockslide/mudslide area. We checked today and it appears the Palm Express will still run but be 30 minutes late...so train connections are not guaranteed. The pictures of both the original rock fall and the mudslide are amazing. I do hope somehow the folks are safe.

OhGeologist

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Aug 29, 2017 - 2:26 AM in reply to maggiehorswell

Hi Maggie,

I read in one article that they have given up searching for 8 hikers - 2 Swiss, 2 Austrians and 4 Germans. They have tried everything possible to find them, but have come to the conclusion that they cannot now be found alive, but are buried deep under the landslide. I have read so many articles about it that I cannot remember where I saw this particular article I'm afraid (it was on one of the Swiss news sites, in German). A very sad outcome.

Alpenrose

Last modified on Aug 29, 2017 - 3:15 AM by Removed user
Lucas
Lucas
9566 posts
expert &
Aug 29, 2017 - 6:07 AM in reply to maggiehorswell

Yes, it's been a big story here and quite sad, they have given up the search unfortunately.

This is the latest I've seen about the incident: https://www.swissinfo. ch/eng/society/mountai n-still-moving_more-mud-and-rocks-hit-bondo/43470156

Another group of German climbers dies recently in Austria around the same time as well. A very bad week
http://www.dw.com/en/f ive-climbers-die-in-austrian-alps-accident/a-40259468

Lucas

maggiehorswell
maggiehorswell
641 posts
top member
Aug 29, 2017 - 11:13 AM in reply to Lucas

Thanks for the updates everyone - it's sad news indeed.

Maggie

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018