News about rockslide accident in Bondo Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2017 at 23:12:25 #813107

Hi Lucas

Not a holiday related question this time. We heard here about the rockslide in the Bondasco Valley. But there has been no follow-up reporting so wondered whether they managed to locate the hikers they were searching for?

Maggie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2017 at 0:36:17 #869112

We have friends that are to ride the Palm Express tomorrow from St. Moritz to Gandria…it goes right by the rockslide/mudslide area. We checked today and it appears the Palm Express will still run but be 30 minutes late…so train connections are not guaranteed. The pictures of both the original rock fall and the mudslide are amazing. I do hope somehow the folks are safe.

OhGeologist

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2017 at 2:26:49 #869113

Hi Maggie,

I read in one article that they have given up searching for 8 hikers – 2 Swiss, 2 Austrians and 4 Germans. They have tried everything possible to find them, but have come to the conclusion that they cannot now be found alive, but are buried deep under the landslide. I have read so many articles about it that I cannot remember where I saw this particular article I’m afraid (it was on one of the Swiss news sites, in German). A very sad outcome.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2017 at 6:07:48 #869114

Yes, it’s been a big story here and quite sad, they have given up the search unfortunately.

This is the latest I’ve seen about the incident: https://www.swissinfo. ch/eng/society/mountai n-still-moving_more-mud-and-rocks-hit-bondo/43470156

Another group of German climbers dies recently in Austria around the same time as well. A very bad week
    http://www.dw.com/en/f ive-climbers-die-in-austrian-alps-accident/a-40259468

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2017 at 11:13:23 #869115

Thanks for the updates everyone – it’s sad news indeed.

Maggie

• The thread ‘News about rockslide accident in Bondo Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.