Roman ruins – Switzerland’s hidden treasure trove

• Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    28 August 2018 at 4:56:30 #818122

The full title of this thread is Switzerland’s hidden treasure trove of Roman mosaics.

Earlier this year I posted information about the amphitheatre in Avenches (Aventicum in Roman times) and the wonderful mosaics at le Musée Romain de Vallon which is near to Avenches. Both of these locations are wonderful to visit for those interested in Roman history in Switzerland.

Others have mentioned the amphitheatre in Nyon (on the shore of Lake Geneva) and the Augusta Raurica in Augst, located near Basel. I am looking forward to visiting the latter.

An article in the latest edition of SwissInfo refers to another treasure trove of Roman mosaics located in Boscéaz, just north of Orbe, which is located between Yverdon and Lausanne (canton Vaud). Here is a copy/paste of the first paragraph in the article: “The small town of Orbe in western Switzerland is home to the largest and most beautiful collection of Roman mosaics north of the Alps. But though the exceptional nature of the site is internationally recognised, few tourists are visiting.” Here is the link to the English version of the original French article: http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/r oman-ruins_switzerland-s-hidden-treasure-trove-of-roman-mosaics-/44330286 The article is also available in Arabic, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, and Chinese, so that should cover pretty well anybody visiting MySwissAlps. The video soundtrack is en français but is subtitled for all of the other languages, including English. This video shows how dry weather and aerial photography combined to help situate walls and buildings as this place was hidden under cropland. The Roman name for Orbe was Urba.

I will also attach a photo of one of the mosaics to be seen at Orbe. One might think that M.C. Escher had a hand in creating it.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2018 at 8:43:11 #895175

Great post Peter. Thanks for this information. 🙂

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    29 August 2018 at 16:18:59 #895176

Hej Lucas,

I visited the amphitheatre in Avenches and the mosaics in Vallon last Autumn, but drove right by the Orbe site on my way to and from the Grottes de Vallorbe. So it’s on my list of things to visit this year. Potential visitors just have to be careful about the days it is open.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 August 2018 at 0:12:59 #895177

Should this very nice report be in “Trip Reports” ?

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    30 August 2018 at 13:20:18 #895178

I would say “no” or “not yet” since I have not yet visited the site in Orbe.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 August 2018 at 14:54:13 #895179

<<” I would say “no” or “not yet” since I have not yet visited the site in Orbe.”>>

We eagerly await your visit and your report! 😉

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    31 August 2018 at 18:34:40 #895180

For now, you can hopefully content yourself with the article from SwissInfo I mentioned in my first post on this thread. 😊

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2018 at 23:51:22 #895181

Thank you for this information about Orbe, Peterli.

My husband and I are both ex-Latin teachers so Roman sites in Switzerland have been of special interest to us. We have visited Augusta Raurica (twice), Windisch (near Brugg), Avenches and the small amphitheatre near Martigny. Mike also went to Nyon last year while I was having a Ruhestag! So Orbe will be on the list for our next trip.

Maggie

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 September 2018 at 8:47:14 #895182

<<“For now, you can hopefully content yourself with the article from SwissInfo I mentioned in my first post on this thread”>>

I’ll be in the Dreiseenland this month.

Perhaps I can be there when it s open. It sounds fascinating and impressive.

<<This year the site is open for 110 days, from Easter until September.”>>

I wonder which days of he week…..Easter to September is more than 110 days.

So, I just checked the rail line in Anthony Lambert's book, and found “September – Saturday and Sunday…”

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2018 at 22:09:55 #895183

Hi again Peterli

We are dependent on public transport so wonder how feasible it will be to visit Orbe? (This is looking ahead to next year now as this year’s trip has been cancelled) Hoping to be in Bernese Oberland in September 2019.

Maggie

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    3 September 2018 at 7:57:50 #895184

Bonjour Slowpoke,

<< I’ll be in the Dreiseenland this month. Perhaps I can be there when it s open. It sounds fascinating and impressive. >> Perhaps you and your friend from Genève could fit in a trip to Orbe. If it is not open, and if you were interested, you could make the short trip (about 15 kilometres) up the A9 to Vallorbe and visit the Grottes de Vallorbe. Their website is also in French and German.

Once you are in Vallorbe, it is a hop skip and a jump to la Vallée de Joux. Click on the images on the home page to get an appreciation of the scenery. Site is also in français and Deutsch. From Mont Tendre you have a spectacular view down to Lake Geneva (Genfersee) and over to the far shore in France and beyond to Mont Blanc. commons.wikimedia.org/ wiki/File:Thonon-les-Bains_et_Mont-Blanc.JPG I think for this year your schedule is pretty well set, so perhaps Mont Tendre would be better for a hike when you are staying closer to Lac de Joux.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    3 September 2018 at 8:30:19 #895185

Hi Maggie,

<< My husband and I are both ex-Latin teachers so Roman sites in Switzerland have been of special interest to us. We have visited Augusta Raurica (twice), Windisch (near Brugg), Avenches and the small amphitheatre near Martigny. Mike also went to Nyon last year while I was having a Ruhestag! So Orbe will be on the list for our next trip.>> I never taught Latin although I did study it for two years, and I still remember the beginning of our first book, “Ubi est Britannia?” “Britannia est insula,” Italia est paeninsula, Italia est longa, Italia non est lata.” and on to “Puella columbam amat“. Anyway, I do hope that you will be able to visit Urba next year and if you have not been to Vallon (near Avenches), do so. I have not been to Augusta Raurica but next time I am (up North on the map, down in elevation) near Basel, I plan to do a visit.

<< We are dependent on public transport so wonder how feasible it will be to visit Orbe? (This is looking ahead to next year now as this year’s trip has been cancelled) Hoping to be in Bernese Oberland in September 2019. >> Good point about getting to Orbe. It is clearly going to be easier if you have an automobile. I’ve never been to Orbe by train, but it looks like there is a small branch line that goes over there off the main line from Chavornay. There appear to be three train stops (I wonder why so many) in Orbe and I would guess that is is about a three kilometre drive from the last stop to Boscéaz. (see attached map)

• The thread ‘Roman ruins – Switzerland’s hidden treasure trove’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.