Rough cost of train ticket w/o Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2015 at 11:00:02 #807460

Hi. I’ll be visiting Switzerland for 5 days and I will be buying a 4-days pass. My itinerary is as follows:

Day 1:

Paris – Lausanne – Zermatt

Day 2:

Zermatt – St. Moritz -Lucerne

Day 3:

Lucerne – Mt Titlis

Day 4:

Lucerne – Interlaken

Day 5:

Lucerne – Zurich – Zurich Airport

My problem is I only have a 4 days pass. So what I’m planning to do is buy a TGV train ticket from Paris to Lausanne. Then use my Swiss Travel Pass to go to Zermatt. So my last day to use the Swiss Travel Pass would be on Day 4.

So I’m planning to buy a ticket from Alpnach (where I’ll be staying) to Zurich but the SBB site won’t allow me to see the train fare 3 months in advance (I’ll be going at the end of September). Do you know roughly how much the train fare is from Alpnach – Zurich and from Zurich – Zurich airport during that period? In addition, since our flight is at night, we’re planning to explore Zurich before going to the airport. Will it be possible to explore Zurich on foot since we can’t use the Travel Pass anymore?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 June 2015 at 22:44:56 #844002

Check the fare costs for a nearer date. That will give you a good idea.. They don’t change much, but sometimes the train schedules do.

Be sure you double check whether or not the fare you see is with or without a half fare card (“Halbtax”), as follows:

Since everyone in Switzerland has a “Halbtax”, the SBB may automatically quote fares with discount. Not sure… work your way through a trial purchase or send a note to SBB customer service …they’ll quote you a fare for various journeys.

A 30 day Half fare Card purchased when you enter Switzerland costs 120 CHF. Excursion trains don’t get the same discount…the discount works on any transport from population center to population center, but not for excursion to places like the Jungfrau. You might get a small discount on that line. You’ll get a break on trains, city trams, boats, most cable cars to population centers, etc.

You can compare that withe Swiss Pass if you want to…….no added costs under the same “population center” constraints. Thus, free rides on trains, buses, boats, cable cars, etc.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 June 2015 at 22:48:43 #844003

<<“Will it be possible to explore Zurich on foot since we can’t use the Travel Pass anymore?”>>

You can explore Zürich on foot, or buy a few tram tickets for the excellent local transport network. The city is compact, and as long as you don’t go far afield, you will not need to use the trams. But, they are convenient.

Annika
    7104 posts
    27 June 2015 at 10:29:55 #844004

Hi skeletonwork and Slowpoke!

Just to avoid any misunderstandings: the Swiss Half Fare Card Arno mentioned includes a 50% discount on mountain trains and cable cars too. This also applies to the entire Jungfraujoch trip. Urban transportation in major towns is 50% off as well. The Swiss Half Fare Card validity page allows you to either study a downloadable map or review the list of main attractions that are covered. Purchase options are listed here.

As for the SBB timetable: you can enter your journey, choose a connection and click ‘Fare/Buy’. The SBB usually won’t show a price before you’ve selected whether or not you have a reduction option. Select ‘No reduction’ to see full fares, select ‘Half-fare travelcard’ in order to see the 50% discounted fares that would apply to Swiss Half Fare Card holders.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2015 at 12:00:58 #844005

Thanks for the reply!

If I were to take a train from Lausanne to Zermatt using my Swiss Travel Pass:

1) Can I hop on any train as long as it goes to Zermatt? There’s no need for seat reservation isn’t it?

2) How do I use the Swiss Travel Pass? Do I get on the train and the train conductor will check the pass and stamp it or something?

After I reach St. Moritz, I’ll be taking the “Klosters” to Lucerne. Is that some kind of train? I can use my Swiss Travel Pass too isn’t it?

Cheers!

Arno
    15471 posts
    27 June 2015 at 12:14:58 #844006

Hi skeletonwork,

1) Yes, any train is fine and you don’t need to book seats.

2) Please click “How to use” on our Swiss Travel Pass page.

3) Klosters is a village with a train station. You can travel from St. Moritz via Klosters to Lucerne.

• The thread ‘Rough cost of train ticket w/o Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.