Round-trip options from Luzern for a day

• Mel
    Participant
    34 posts
    7 December 2018 at 14:28:15 #819120

We will be in Lucerne for 3 nights from April 8 till 11th morning. Planning to do Mt Rigi & the lake on one of the days. Perhaps if weather permits, on Tuesday since Tuesday is the cheap promo day to visit Mt Rigi. The other day is still opened to recommendations. I read that Brienz is beautiful. However, the Brienz Rothorn Railway is not in operation in April and neither do we want to visit Ballenberg Museum. But we would like to cruise the lake and walk around the town. Is it worth the trip just for these? I read that the Luzern-Interlaken Express train ride is beautiful..

Secondly, while reading up on this I also came across someone’s recommendation to do a round trip from Lucerne by going to Brienz by train, then boat to Interlaken then on to Thun and Bern by train, and back to Lucerne via the Emmental line (via Langnau) – also very pretty, especially if it has snowed. They thought the Emmental Line is as lovely as the Brunig Pass route, though in a different way. This round trip recommendation – Is it do-able as a day trip from Lucerne? The person who recommended this did not state whether they broke the journey for overnight stay anywhere…

If it is do-able as a day trip does it mean jumping off a train and onto the next? Wouldn’t that be a bit crazy? Or is the scenic train rides on both routes totally worth it?

Tq, Mel

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 December 2018 at 17:01:18 #900053

Hi Mel,

It is hard to quantify if any trip is worth it for everyone but I think the train ride to Brienz from Luzern is very nice and would be an enjoyable day trip. Combine that with a boat ride on Lake Brienz and/or Lake Thun makes a lot of sense.

If you like the idea of a day of train and boat travel you’ll get your scenery’s worth for sure -especially adding in the trip from Bern back to Lucerne via Langnau im Emmental.

You can use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out all of the trips. Yes, you will have to change trains and boats as you go along – not crazy, very normal to do alonger round-trip like this.

But just Interlaken to Lucerne via Langnau im Emmental will be 3 changes and 3 hours or so. So this will add up to a long day of travel. You’ll have to be careful to plan it around the boat trip as well as they don’t have frequent departures especially in April.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 December 2018 at 22:40:39 #900054

H Mel-

I spend a lot of time in the Emmental, and like that train ride through Langnau i.E. a lot.

Farm country, with characteristic Emmental farm house architecture, rolling hills with the mountains in the background.

Attached is one panoramic image of part of the Emmental, near Sumiswald, an Emmental farmstead near Fankhaus, showing the characteristc architecture) and an old inn in Trubschachen, not visible from the train, but close to the station. Also, a couple of random Emmental images. One from Bern, old town.

It is not so nice if it is after dark. Sunset there in early April is at around 8PM so you have lots of leeway:

http://www.sunrise-and-sunset.com/de/sun/schw eiz/langnau/2019/april

There are boat trips on Lake Brienz in April.

Here is the timetable for 2019, including a map:

http://www.bls.ch/-/media/bls/pdf/fahrpla ene/schiff/fahrplan-schifffahrt-2019.pdf

Scroll down to get the right season and right lake (Spring = Frühling). Dates are shown starting on 6.4 ( April 6th).

Spring service begins on April 6th. The timetable shows train departure times from Luzern, with matching boat schedules. The connection time at Brienz is easy. Very short walk. You can depart Luzern at 1006, 1206,1306, or 1506.

Schedules from Interlaken to Bern are also shown, via train – arriving at xx52.. Not sure of the exact connection at Bern, but trains from Bern to Luzern run several times per hour, all day long. The fastest, on the hour, not through Langnau, take one hour and 1 minute. Others, 1 hour and 27 minutes. Those are on the new fast route via Zofingen. Almost no Emmental scenery.

For the routes through Langnau i. E., one direct at xx36 ( 1 hr, 27 minutes) or one at xx42, with a 13 minute change at Langnau ( 2hrs, 1 min).

So, you likely have time for a cup of tea or coffee, or might even take a short break for quick walk into the old city in Bern, 2 minutes from the train station. Then, catch the next connection. The set of trains starting at xx42 are locals, with lots if stops. The faster one at xx36 has fewer stops. Langnau i. E. is a small station, so all those connections will be unhurried. There also one connection from Bern at at 1702, 1 hr 41 minutes, probably for commuters. Lots of stops.

The trip is quite doable, and need not be rushed. Especially easy, since you will not have to haul luggage. The boat to train connection at Interlaken is easy, too. And, there are two or three trains per hour from Interlaken Ost to Bern, taking either about 52 minutes to an hour or about an hour and 13 minutes. Plenty of options there, too. No rush.

If you take all of the first available connections,starting from Luzern at 1006, you can be back in Luzern at 1603. So, you have some slack. the boat on hat set of trips seems to have food service on some trips…..not sure what the ‘food” symbol in parentheses means. The set leaving Luzern at 1206 gets you a side-wheel paddle wheeler with a restaurant. Arrive Bern 1552. Get back to Luzern at 1803

Slowpoke

Mel
    Participant
    34 posts
    8 December 2018 at 14:31:01 #900055

Hi Lucas & Slowpoke,

Thanks so much for your suggestions. Apologies for taking a while to respond, I was doing a bit more research after reading your feedbacks.

I will catch the 10:06 train out of Luzern.

I think Giessbach Waterfall seems really nice. Thus, will probably jump on the boat straightaway after arriving in Brienz to Giessbach to visit the fall. We won’t be hiking, just taking the funicular up to the hotel level and walk nearer to the fall. I hope the footpath which goes behind the fall isn’t much further up. Have lunch there either at the hotel or bring a picnic.

Secondly, it’s better for us to take the train from Interlaken straight to Bern rather than take another cruise along Lake Thun, right? Since the cruise will take too long..

Here is my intended itinerary:

10:06 > 11:33 – Train Luzern > Brienz

11:40 > 11:51 – Boat Brienz See > Giessbach See

12:14 – Funicular uphill (2018 Schedule)

1 hour+ break @ Giessbach Fall

13:40 – Funicular downhill (2018 Schedule)

13:51 > 14:53 – Boat Giessbach See > Interlaken Ost(see)

15:00 > 15:52 – Train Interlaken Ost > Bern

1.5 to 2.5 hours break @ Bern

17:36 > 19:03 – Train Bern > Luzern (via Langnau I.E) OR

18:36 > 20:03 – Train Bern > Luzern (via Langnau I.E)

Thirdly, can use Swiss Pass Flex all the way? But I understand not for the funicular.

Fourthly, for the cruise, in order for us to be on the upper deck we must purchase 1st class supplement? This can be done on board, right?

Finally, since we already doing a whole day of train & boat rides and mountain views, is it recommended to still do boat & Mt Rigi the next day? Especially when the cable car isn’t running (I’ve checked and it will be under maintenance).

Thanks! Mel

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 December 2018 at 16:49:07 #900056

It certainly seems like a good day to use the Swiss Travel Pass Flex (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpassflex) with all that travel!

Yes, you can upgrade to 1st class to get on the upper deck when you board the ship.

I’d base your choice on Rigi (http://www.myswissalps.com/ri gi) on whether you think the mountain experience is something you want and not so much the method of getting there (you don’t need to take the boat on Lake Lucerne if you don’t want to).

I wouldn’t really consider Geissbach falls a mountain trip.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 December 2018 at 17:55:10 #900057

Hi Mel-

Good planning.

Sometimes the weather is really nice in April…you might maybe possibly hopefeully be able to have lunch on the terrace at Giessbach.

The boat will have a restaurant, but if you want to use it, you’ll have to order and eat within one hour.

My memory is that Giessbach funicular connects with boat arrivals and departures. Maybe you won’t have those waits.

You are right about the train to Bern.

Good idea to stop there.

Slowpoke

Mel
    Participant
    34 posts
    9 December 2018 at 0:53:58 #900058

🙏 to both of you!

Mel
    Participant
    34 posts
    9 December 2018 at 1:01:48 #900059

If it is raining should I still head up to the waterfall or do something else like the Thun cruise?

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 December 2018 at 17:39:10 #900060

Hi Mel,

A boat ride can still be enjoyable even in light rain (i.e. if you still have some views): http://www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakethun. If you don’t mind putting on rain gear than you can also visit a waterfall.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 December 2018 at 17:44:53 #900061

Hi Mel-

The Giessbach Falls are most impressive after some rains have fed it from the source.

Slowpoke

Mel
    Participant
    34 posts
    10 December 2018 at 18:00:51 #900062
    Arno
    15471 posts
    10 December 2018 at 19:01:52 #900063

Very true! Perhaps 12 hours after the rain is the perfect time, or something like that 🙂

Mel
    Participant
    34 posts
    21 December 2018 at 3:58:57 #900064

Lucas, Arno & Slowpoke,

Any recommendations on which side to sit on for nicest view on the train from Luzern to Brienz as well as from Bern back to Luzern?

Tq, Mel

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 December 2018 at 10:43:33 #900065

<<“Any recommendations on which side to sit on for nicest view on the train

from Luzern to Brienz as well as from Bern back to Luzern?”>>

Hi Mel- Bern to Luzern first-

It is not clear to me which route you have chosen. If it is the fast route through Zofingen, it doesn’t make much difference which side you sit on. Generally pleasant scenery, but nothing special.

If you take the route through Langnau i. E., from Bern, then there will be nice Emmental scenery on both sides, but I think that sitting on the left is a bit better. After you pass through Wolhusen and the land flattens out, it doesn’t matter at all.

Luzern to Brienz-

There are better sides on this route, but they vary during the tip. And, if your car has the larger panoramic windows, it will not make a whole lot of difference.

You’ll have nice views on both sides for the first few km as far as Alpnach, but I think the views are better on the left. At Alpnachstsd, the valley station for Pilatus is on the right, but the views cross the lake (on the left) are my preference. I like the views to the south and east, of the lakes and mountains, so I sit on the left. You can get a good amount of those views from the other side of the car, as well, so it is not critical.

From approximately Alpnach onward, through Sarnen and as far as Brunig at the high point of the pass, the scenery is definitely better on the right. In particular, as you take the climb up to Giswil, and, especially at Kaiserstuhl, where the Lungernsee appears, on a clear day the view across/along the lake is spectacular, but brief. If I am driving, I will stop and take a few pictures from the northeastern end of the lake….on a clear day. You get that view from the train.

Once you reach Brunig and begin the descent, definitely on the left. Since the train goes down the side of the valley with the right side away from the valley, the best glimpses of the valley are on the left. From Meiringen to Brienz, on the valley floor, not much difference. The train is reversed at Meiringen. The locomotive is disconnected and a new locomotive attached at what was the back. So, you change sides without having to move.

If you can’t switch seats because the train is full, I’d pick the right side, but either one is good. So, sometimes I sit on one side, sometimes on the other for the whole trip.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 December 2018 at 13:24:10 #900066

If I had to pick a side heading to Brienz it’d be the right I think.

We talk about that on our Golden Pass page here: http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/gettingthere

Mel
    Participant
    34 posts
    21 December 2018 at 15:02:05 #900067

Thanks everyone, for your detailed inputs!

Mel
    Participant
    34 posts
    25 December 2018 at 15:09:29 #900068

Someone mentioned in another forum that the Brunig line will be closed between Lucerne and Alpnachstad from 18 March to 14 April. Buses will replace trains over that section of the route and journey times will be significantly extended. Is this true? I checked the SBB website for the train between Luzern and Brienz but it doesnt indicate Alpnachstad as one of the stations…

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 December 2018 at 17:24:11 #900069

Alpnachstad may not be a stop but that doesn’t mean you won’t travel/by through the town.

If you search for your trip between Lucerne and Brienz on the timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) and it doesn’t show any construction on the timetable then you are ok.

• The thread ‘Round-trip options from Luzern for a day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.