Route choices and reservations on scenic trains

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2018 at 6:54:18 #888565

I took the panoramic train on the Domodossola to Locarno route over a long weekend and was the first to board arriving about 15 minutes early at Domodossola. Not a busy train even on long weekend but could be busy in the summer.

I could not make reservations on-site but you can with Rockoyster’s link. I think you’ll be fine either way.

The trains are indeed unique in Europe! I don’t know how they compare to the local train also running that route but I got a kick out of being on it!

Kathi you can see some pictures and hear about my trip on that train here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/forum/topic/tici no-region-trip-march-31-april-2

Kathi
    Participant
    10 posts
    14 July 2018 at 18:19:31 #888566

I am getting near the end of deciding which routes and trains to take. On someone else’s post way back in May I saw a suggestion to take the longer route (more scenic ) from Zermatt to Murren via Kandersteg which sounds like a very good idea. As I look at the sbb timetable for July 31 I have narrowed down some different departures but have a few questions:

What is the difference between the

9:37 train –

9:52 train I realize it is a GEX (somewhat nicer ?) ( a little faster?)

10:13.11:13,12:13,13:13,14:13 which all appear to have the same connections?

They all have the Lotschberger which I assume is part of the scenic route – Lotschberg mountain route,all go through Brig and the latter part of the journey, all close in time and change of train.

What should I consider?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 July 2018 at 20:42:57 #888567

Avoid the GEX otherwise you will have to pay reservation charges.

Any other departure that suits your plans should be fine.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2018 at 23:48:27 #888568

Any ordinary local train from Zermatt to Brig will be fine, don’t use the Glacier Express.

Between Visp and Brig look up at the mountains on the left hand side of the train in the direction of travel and you will see the Lötschberg mountain route railway winding its way down the hillside parallel to the line you are on, this is the line you will take from Brig.

When you get to Brig, the MGB railway line station is in the street outside the main station in the station square. Get off there and enter the main line station via a few steps.

The Lötschberg mountain route train will be shown as RE Lötschberger, destination Bern. They depart every hour at xx.36 past each hour.

Once on this train look down to the right as you climb the hill and you will see the railway you travelled on from Zermatt!

Unfortunately, because going via Brig is no longer the official route from Zermatt to the Bern direction the trains don’t connect, the Lotschberger leaves Brig 1 minute before the train from Zermatt arrives, so you will have to have a coffee at Brig!

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The thread ‘Route choices and reservations on scenic trains’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.