Interlaken to Kleine Scheidegg route with stops?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2019 at 1:29:05 #820518

Hi, I am planning to visit the mountains in Interlaken one of the days 31/08/19-02/09/19.

I am interested to go to Grindelwald first, Kleine Scheidegg, Wengen and Lauterbrunnen (not up to Jungfraujoch though). Is it possible to do all these in 1 day? I am not going on hiking, but just walk around the mountain when reach there.

What is the best / suggested route for visiting theses mountains?

Hope you can share your valued experience or suggestions and advice.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2019 at 2:05:46 #907105

Personally I would just take the train up to Kleine Scheidegg (KS) and walk around up there. There are many paths – all signposted and shown clearly on maps / signboards etc.

The best way is to do the circular trip on the BOB/WAB railways, ie Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen Wengen – KS – Grindelwald – Interlaken. You can do it either way round.

Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen and Interlaken – Grindelwald are the BOB railway (blue and yellow trains). Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald to KS are the lines of the WAB railway (green trains)

You can opt to walk down from Kleine Scheidegg to Grindelwald. It is a reasonably easy path, paralleling the railway

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2019 at 13:21:37 #907106

Hi Myfootstep

Something else you can consider is this easy walk: http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/wengernalp-kleinescheidegg

I know it says hike but given the elevation gain, duration and distance, I would say it’s more of a scenic walk 😉

For the timetable to Kleine Scheidegg from Interlaken, you can use http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

All the best on your travels!

Maria.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2019 at 2:49:43 #907107

Thanks for the information on the hike

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2019 at 2:50:43 #907108

Thanks 1960man for the suggested route.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2019 at 2:55:10 #907109

If I would like to travel up to Grindelwald First, is it advisable to go Interlaken Ost–>Grindelwald First–>Kleine Scheidegg–>Wengen–> Lauterbrunnen due to the gondola lift operating time for Grindelwald First?

Can the above itinerary be done in one day?

In Early sep 1-3, will there be any snow up in Ks? If no snow I can just wear normal walking shoes?

If I use Swiss travel pass, where do I pay for the additional cost? Grindelwald, Wengen and Lauterbrunnen train station ? Will I be issued a paper ticket for that?

For the gondola lift ticket where can I buy it in advance?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2019 at 1:21:48 #907110

Under normal conditions, early September is still ‘late summer’ so there is unlikely to be snow. Could still be pretty warm in fact

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2019 at 1:43:24 #907111

Thanks for your advice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2019 at 2:54:12 #907112

I understand that from Lauterbrunnen or Wengen to Klein Scheidegg, i need to pay a supplement (25% discount with STP) at Lauterbrunnen or Wengen or Grindelwald station.

If I take this route: Interlaken Ost–>Grindelwald First–>Kleine Scheidegg–>Wengen–> Lauterbrunnen –> Interlaken Ost

Is it possible to buy a return supplement ticket at Grindelwald? Or do I have to pay the supplement ticket twice – at Grindelwald (towards Kleine Scheidegg) & at KS (towards Wengen)?

How much is the supplement ticket for each leg?

Thank you very much.

Arno
    15482 posts
    23 March 2019 at 15:56:35 #907113

Hi Myfootstep,

You can buy tickets for any route you wish, no need for tickets per leg. Just explain what you want at any staffed station (Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald, Wengen, Interlaken Ost, etc.). A link to prices can be found on http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/tickets under “More information” or in the nation wide timetable at http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

The map at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity shows what exactly is covered and discounted.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 March 2019 at 0:50:00 #907114

Hope that you do not expect the weather to choose to be good on that one day.

Perhaps you have choices?

The weather is unpredictable and changeable enough in the high alps to plan on a few days in the area, if you wish to carry out a specific plan.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2019 at 7:22:03 #907115

Thank you for advising on this. Perhaps I should make a flexible plan.

What is the best way and timing to check the weather up in the mountain? One day ahead? on the same day? ask hotel staff? which website for weather forecast recommended?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2019 at 7:23:16 #907116

Thank you very much!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 March 2019 at 9:53:57 #907117

<<“Can the above itinerary be done in one day?”>>

Yes, and you’ll have a few minutes to spare to walk around those places, and maybe get some pictures.

To answer such questions, you can and should use the time table as linked by Maria.

Once you get used to using itit, such a question will be simple to deal with as you make changes in your itinerary.

Although it will get you to the web site of the SBB indirectly, that link provides a very useful introduction to the useful tips and tricks for using the timetable. Good to read it before you go directly to the SBB timetable.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 March 2019 at 10:01:52 #907118

<<“What is the best way and timing to check the weather up in the mountain?

One day ahead? on the same day? ask hotel staff? which website for

weather forecast recommended?”>>

Yes to all of the above, and add the local tourist information office. The keep up on the details. Also, their are webcams for many of those locations:

en.swisswebcams.ch/suc he/ort/kleine%20scheid egg-2660145/

Weather forecasts?

http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/nature
    http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather/forecast

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2019 at 7:00:01 #907119

Thank you very much all, for such useful information for my planning. Thanks for your patience.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 March 2019 at 10:00:34 #907120

Hi Myfootstep-

The walk from KS dow to Grindelwld is indeed easy.

However, it is a descent of 1120 meters to Grund, then up 90 meters to Grindelwald main station.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&E=2643974.5 9&N=1162500.12&zoom=6& layers_visibility=fals e,true

For color coding of the trails:

http://www.alpenwild.com/stat icpage/trail-signs-in-the-swiss-alps/

I did it many years ago when I was younger, but not in condition for long downhill walks. My legs were very sore for a couple of days.

I should have gone only as far as Alpiglen, then taken the train.

If you are used to long downhill walks, you will have no problem, of course. Otherwise, it may be hard on your knees.

Slowpoke.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2019 at 8:31:06 #907121

Thank you all for the helpful information.

• The thread ‘Interlaken to Kleine Scheidegg route with stops?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.