Best route from St. Moritz to Lugano

• Tommyc
    Participant
    17 posts
    14 November 2018 at 20:36:07 #818948

I am planning an itinerary to travel to Switzerland next September for 8 days, I already have a rough plan. On the last 2 days, if I plan to travel from St. Moritz to Lugano, not sure which route should I take? I will buy a 8 days Swiss Travel Pass or Half Flare Pass.

I know I can take:

1. Bernina Express from St. Moritz to Tirano and change bus to Lugano, but it is a long Journey (Duration about 8 hours?) or

2. I can take a train from St. Moritz to Thusis, change bus to Bellinzona and train again to Lugano (Duration about 4 hours only?)

If I take the route no.2, is the view is as good as Bernina Express? Especially the leg for the bus part?

I also interest to visit Swissminiatur, Lugano. Is this Attraction ticket cover by Swiss Travel Pass?

Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 November 2018 at 1:02:10 #899075

Hello Tommyc,

Take the Bernina Express. The train from St Moritz to Tirano is under 3 hours. The bus Tirano to Lugano just over 3 hours and you have time for a pizza in Tirano along the way. The first hour on the bus is not too scenic but the rest is.

The other option is the Palm Express Bus direct bus service. See http://www.postauto.ch/en/exc ursion-tips/palm-express.

Swiss Miniature is at Melide south of Lugano. Entry is not covered by the Swiss Travel Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 November 2018 at 7:59:46 #899076

Hi Tommyc,

I second the Bernina Express option – you’ll enjoy the trip. Also note you do get 50% off Swissminiatur with the Swiss Travel Pass: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

Tommyc
    Participant
    17 posts
    15 November 2018 at 17:41:11 #899077

Thank you rockoyster & Lucas,

Glad to know there is a 50% off Swissminiatur with the Swiss Travel Pass.

Perhaps I should stay one more night in Lugano.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 November 2018 at 1:02:41 #899078

If you want a shorter day, the Thusis – Bellinzona bus is very scenic as it goes over the St Bernardino road

Lightbodyae5
    Participant
    21 posts
    17 November 2018 at 8:47:41 #899079

Hi Tommyc

My wife and I had a trip on the Bernina Express when we were in Switzerland in 2016 and we want to do it again when we go back in 2020 the scenery is beautiful and well worth the trip.

Tommyc
    Participant
    17 posts
    18 November 2018 at 1:26:58 #899080

Thanks 196man and Lightbodyae5.

I would think the Bernina Express is better if I am not in hurry. The only concern is will it be too much if I take the Glacier Express today and the Bernina Express on the next day? (Not for money, the STP will covered anyway).

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 November 2018 at 2:38:00 #899081

I did the Glacier Express from Brig to Chur one day and the Bernina Express from Chur to Lugano on the next day. I didn’t find it wearing. There is so much to see that the time just flies by.

Lightbodyae5
    Participant
    21 posts
    18 November 2018 at 6:12:21 #899082

I concur with rockoyster, we did those two journey’s the other way round, Bernina Express one day and the Glacier Express from Filsur to Zermatt the next day, and did not find it to tiring, and with my wife being disabled she can get tired easily but was kept awake by the beautiful scenery she was seeing from the train window as the train rolled through the mountains and countryside. As rockoyster say’s there is so much to see on these journey’s you just don’t notice how the time has flown by,

• The thread ‘Best route from St. Moritz to Lugano’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.