Swiss travel plan help for 2 weeks in August

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2018 at 2:00:12 #816358

Hi

We are a family of 4 adults planning our trip for 12-14 days from end August to early September.This is our first trip to Switzerland

Appreciate some suggestions on best route to travel.

1. We plan to buy the Swiss Travel Pass

2. Interested to visit Zurich,Lucern,Interlaken,Zermatt and St Moritz? Like to visit all the famous mountains and like light hiking,trails and nature.

3. read about the famous Glacier express and very interested in scenic train rides.

Thank you

sharon

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 June 2018 at 6:14:13 #886954

Hello Sharon,

You didn’t find anything in the responses you got in your earlier thread to help flesh out your itinerary?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2018 at 11:53:39 #886955

Hi Rockoyster

They did in the earlier post very helpful suggestions. Now I am looking into the routes. Was thinking of the following :

1. arrival at Zurich, from airport go straight to Lucern

2. Spend 2 nights in Lucern, then onto either Interlaken as base to cover the Jungfrau region.

3. Am stuck now with regards to Zermatt .. and then back to Zurich for one night and depart home from Zurich airport. This sector am not too sure which is a good way to travel via …? Am interested in small scenic villages which we can stay on way to Zermatt and back to Zurich,

Sorry thqat I wasn’t too clear in earlier top post. 🙂

sharon

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2018 at 13:34:46 #886956

Hi Sharon,

#1 and #2 seems fine though I’d look at one of the smaller towns near Interlaken instead: Thun, Wengen or Grindelwald are good options.

#3. a popular route between Interlaken and Zermatt is to travel via Kandersteg and Brig – Kandersteg could work well as a nice, small village to overnight in.

A nice option on the way back could be Montreux (not a village per se though). And from there you can take the Golden Pass route to Lucerne and then back to Zurich.

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    1 June 2018 at 19:57:34 #886957

Good advice from good people on this group!

Whatever route or line you take will be of great interest. Almost every one is scenic in some form or another.

If you look at the map carefully you’ll see so many different options – most included on the Swiss Pass.

The well known tourist trips are wonderful but I’ve had equal enjoyment from some of the lesser known attractions, not too often visited by international tourists.

Enjoy your travels!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 June 2018 at 21:30:17 #886958

Hi Sharon,

If you are keen on the Glacier Express (http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress) you can return to Zurich from Zermatt in a day or continue through from Chur to S Moritz for an overnight there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2018 at 1:40:38 #886959

Thank you Lucas, rockoyster and Gunzel. Will look into details of route now that I have all these tips. Thanks !

sharon

• The thread ‘Swiss travel plan help for 2 weeks in August’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.