Pickpockets & safety in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2018 at 16:50:06 #816413

I would be travelling to europe in July and would be visiting Paris, Swiss and Italy.

I have heard a lot about safety issues with paris and italy for pickpocket.

What about switzerland? Is it safe to travel here? Do pickpocket happens here?

Please suggest.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    3 June 2018 at 20:55:45 #887208

Never had a problem in Switzerland but as anywhere it’s good to be aware of your surroundings without getting paranoid.

Enjoy your travels!

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    3 June 2018 at 23:10:42 #887209

Hi,

Switzerland is about as safe a country as you could hope to visit. In my 40 years going there I have only been concerned once.

Many years ago I met 2 American girls on the train going to Martigny. An elderly gentleman who was on board struck up a conversation with them. He was sitting at the back of the carriage with his back against the wall. He was very friendly andcoaxed them to come and chat with him. It struck me as a bit odd, so I went with them. The girls had large packs that they left on the seats and at one point I turned around and saw a young man leaning over his seat and trying to open one of them while the girls had their backs turned. The old man was the lure to distract potential victims while his younger partner looked for valuables.

As far as pick pockets are concerned, I’ve never heard of anybody being robbed in Switzerland, but I’m always cautious in large railway stations because of the number of people and the ease with which a thief can get away. Always keep your valuables hidden and try not to look like a rich tourist. Don’t leave expensive cameras/phones in plain sight and don’t flash your money around and you will be OK.

Alan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 5:15:01 #887210

I think Switzerland is about as safe as it gets in Europe – never felt unsafe.

Certainly be careful in busy train stations and tourist areas. On trains I’ve always felt fine leaving my luggage wherever it fits and forgetting about it on the train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 5:19:54 #887211

Thanks for the reply.

Just one more query : do we need to carry passports all the time while travelling to jungfrau and titlis and other areas in swiss?

Or will it be ok if i carry xerox copies of passport along with original DL from my own country?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 5:50:03 #887212

I understand that Switzerland is quite safe. However these things can happen anywhere. One of my friend had their passports credit cards etc. taken from them while they were travelling in Lauterbrennen valley. When they reported it they were told that the police has had many cases reported to them in that week.

So please look after your belongings as you’d do when you’re travelling anywhere.

Anil

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 6:25:06 #887213

Definitely always be careful wherever you are.

When traveling on a train or cable car on a rail pass (like the Swiss Travel Pass or similar) that has your passport information on it you must have the original passport with you.

Train personal sometimes ask for it to verify the information and it must be the original.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 22:29:54 #887214

Hello: My .02 re: pickpockets and the countries you mentioned….I have never had a problem in several years of travel to Italy, though my wife and I keep our valuables concealed such that it even takes us a moment to retrieve our cash. We remain vigilant so that it is second nature, but not so that we can’t relax. Paris is the same, though you need to do your awareness homework; if you are on the Metro and a group of kids seems to be encircling you, move and keep your money and passport protected. Clearly you never leave a purse draped over a chair, a wallet on a table, or a backpack sitting next to you that can be accessed if you are distracted. Try to maintain body/leg/arm/eye contact with your stuff at all times. In some places you may be tempting fate if you wear a backpack in a crowd (a razor will open it in 1 second), or if you wear your fanny pack over your fanny. Keep it in front of you – especially in crowds. My vigilance was rewarded several times in India, but I have had a waiter in Nepal run after me to give me the money, passport, and belongings I had left in his restaurant. If you don’t want your pockets picked, don’t put anything in them unless you can confidently prevent access (zippered pockets are great – if they are zipped). As to not looking like a rich tourist, let’s face it – despite your appearance, one can’t be a pauper and travel to Switzerland. We, however, are in the American 99% so we won’t be able to look rich, no matter what we do. Have a safe trip.

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    4 June 2018 at 22:38:52 #887215

It’s always good to try to blend in with the locals as far as possible.

I’ve noticed people in Switzerland tend to dress reasonably well with plenty of lighter colours.

Contrast this with the all over black common in Australia and, as I saw, in San Francisco, recently.

And “fanny” certainly has different meanings in different English speaking countries. I once overhead, in a cable car, in Austria not Switzerland, an American lady talking (quite loudly) about her fanny. Interesting to Australian ears!!!!!

But, as has been stated previously, it’s always best to be aware of one’s surroundings – but without being paranoid and taking enjoyment away from one’s holiday/vacation.

• The thread ‘Pickpockets & safety in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.