Sailplane flights near Interlaken? Not paragliders

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2017 at 13:58:44 #813090

Dear Advisors,

I’m looking for sailplane(glider) flights in or near Interlaken NOT paraglider flights.

Will be in Interlaken area in early October.

Thanks for your advice/links.

Jefferson W.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2017 at 11:19:59 #869025

Hi Jefferson,

I’m not familiar with glider companies in Switzerland. I came across one company, Swissraft, on the internet you could try contacting but they are based in St. Gallen…it is the only one I have come across though. They may know if there is another company in the Interlaken area.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2017 at 18:25:32 #869026

Thank you, Lucas….Jeff

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    29 August 2017 at 22:28:50 #869027

Hi,

I’ve never seen sailplanes in the interlaken area. The nearest airfield is the military base at Meiringen and they might exclude sailplanes from the nearby air space. There are gliding centres in Mollis, Winterthur, Hausen am Albis, Lommis, Amlikon, Sitterdorf, Schänis, Buttwil, Birrfeld and Speck, but I haven’t flown from any of them, so I don’t know what sort of facilities they have. Given the geography, I assume most gliding in Switzerland would be orographic, with not much thermaling. Launching appears to be a mix of aero tug and cable.

Hope this helps

Alan

• The thread ‘Sailplane flights near Interlaken? Not paragliders’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.