Salzburg to Switzerland with a few stopover days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2019 at 18:20:29 #821083

Hi there

I am planning to visit Switzerland for 11 days base out from Salzburg. My plan itinerary is to visit the following places such as : Zermatt, Jungfraujoch, Interlaken, Mt Pilatus, Lucern and ending my journey in Zurich. Most likely to stopover few days in Zermatt, Interlaken and Lucern. As from Interlaken, we can do day trip to Jungfraujoch and Mt Pilatus.

Am seeking some advice on the best way to travel from Salzburg to Zermatt. I rather not travel via Zurich as it will be my last stop before going home. If Zermatt is not feasible, please advice alternative route of travel base on my itinerary above.

This is our first visit to Switzerland and I am travelling with an elderly mom and teenage son .

Any suggestions and feedback are much appreciated.

Thank you

RH

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 April 2019 at 10:17:04 #909811

Hi RH, welcome to MySwissAlps!

You will be traveling by train I assume? I would personally stop in Lucerne first, to make the transfer from Salzburg not too long. Then Interlaken, Zermatt and finally Zurich. That’s also a good way to first see the somewhat lower mountains and work your way up to the highest ones (well, not Zurich).

This is a good page to start, plus the above links: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/austria.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2019 at 16:04:35 #909812

Thank you for the information Arno. I will do just that !

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 April 2019 at 1:18:59 #909813

<<“I am planning to visit Switzerland for 11 days base out from Salzburg.”>>

When?

Makes a difference in the mountains.

Also-

<<“

Hi there

I am planning to visit Switzerland for 11 days base out from Salzburg.”>>

It will be somewhere between difficult and impossible to tour Switzerland from a base in Salzburg. I suspect that intend to travel to Switzerland and make your base (or bases) in Switzerland. Am I correct?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2019 at 3:13:16 #909814

HI Slowpoke,

Date of trip is August. My plan is travel from Salzburg to Lucerne as suggested by Arno and perhaps make my base there and travel to visit those places I mentioned in Switzerland. Plan to travel either from Zermatt or Lugano back to Zurich one day before catching flight home.

I prefer staying at least 2-3 days at one place , reason being having an elderly mom with me. Hence any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2019 at 6:34:02 #909815

Hello Rohaninik25,

Then I believe you have found your bases to stay at, right?! Arno’s suggestions normally rock.. 🙂

To find out detailed travelling times and connections for your trips use the timetable below. Make sure you read how it works, it’s a superb tool for planning.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Get back to us should you need further support.

Best,
    Steph

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 April 2019 at 9:31:37 #909816

Hi Rohaninik25-

Good to hear that you are traveling in August. Though it is the busiest month for tourists, it is also a very good month for going up into the higher mountains. Some really nice short trails and walks near the higher train and cableway stations become easily accessible. Not sure how much you’ll want to use them, but it is a lot easier in the Summer than, for example, in May.

Here are some possible natural sites and mountains to consider:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/naturalsites

you wrote

<<“My plan is travel from Salzburg to Lucerne as suggested by Arno and

perhaps make my base there and travel to visit those places I mentioned

in Switzerland. Plan to travel either from Zermatt or Lugano back to

Zurich one day before catching flight home.”>>

I interpret “make my base there ” to mean that you will stay there and do day trips to the other places.

On the other hand, your words could mean that you plan to stay in those places for 2 or 3 nights.

<“I prefer staying at least 2-3 days at one place ,”>>

So, I’ll go with Steph and assume that you have some different places to stay ( a few “bases”) selected.

Using the timetable as she suggested is the key. You’ll find that it is technically possible to make a day trip to all of those places from Luzern ( German spelling) . And, buy using the guidance on that page she linked, you will be able to select fast ( the automatic) or often more scenic ( slower), “via” some intermediate stops. You’ll also be able to find lake boat trips which are available on Lake Lucerne ( German – der Vierwaldstättesee) and the lakes by Interlaken by using the features of the “advanced” timetable.

Please make sure to read all of the comments on that page. There are a few tips that are very helpful.

When you travel from place to place, you will be able to include some particularly scenic trips:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/scenictrips

Please note that often the timetable will not put you on those routes unless you specify some intermediate stops along the way as “via” locations.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2019 at 17:10:43 #909817

Dear all

Firstly apologies for my tardy response. Taking account all your suggestions, and after many late nights of interacting with “Mr Google”, i have somewhat came up with a concrete itinerary for now :.

• Day 1 Arrived from Salzburg. Will base in Luzern for 5 nights
    • Day 2 Walked about old town, chapels ,bridge, lion monument
    • Day 3 Day trip to Gruyeres to visit Cheese factory and walk around village.
    • Day 4 Going for the Golden Round Trip to Mt Pilatus with boat cruise included
    • Day 5 Day trip to Interlarken. Joining the sports activitis such as para gliding and tobboggan run etc.. Visiting Jungfraujoch if weather permits
    • Day 6 Taking the Gottard panaroma express train to Lugano. Plan to stay for either 2 or 3 nites.
    • Day 7 Leisure walk to Grandia, Monte Brie Tour inclusive of cable car and boat tour
    • Day 8 Visiting the market place
    • Day 9 Train to Zurich. Staying a night and seeing the city
    • Day 10 Home – Evening flight

Questions – Should we stay a nite or 2 in Interlarken as we plan to go to Lugano from Luzern which is shorter hours of journey compared from Interlarken. I am not sure if i have covered all the essential places to visit for my Swiss Trip hence any suggestions is much appreciated. For Lugano, I have yet to plan fully but will take it easy and find our way when we are there.

I hope the above itinerary is fine.

Thank you – RH

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2019 at 18:33:51 #909818

Hi Rohan

I note that your new itinerary includes a day trip to Gruyeres and also the Golden Pass http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

Have you used the timetable to calculate travel times and connections? Only because I note that on some days you will do a lot of travelling and you will start very early! For example a day trip to Gruyeres from Lucerne to visit the cheese factory would be a lot in my view. Please also note that normally people visit the chocolate factory in Broc on the same day trip. I would therefore suggest staying closer to your destination, for example Montreux if you are planning to go to Gruyeres.

Besides that, I would also suggest staying further up the mountain if you plan to go to Jungfraujoch, in either Wengen or Grindelwald. It’s also possible from Interlaken of course, but much nicer in the two towns I mentioned and less of an early start:

Hope this helps and I’m sure others will have more suggestions!

Maria.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2019 at 13:32:52 #909819

Dear Maria

Thank you for your advise. I will re access my trip to Gruyeres and most likely will move base to Wengen for my Junfraujoch trip.

RH

• The thread ‘Salzburg to Switzerland with a few stopover days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.