Salzburg to Zurich using Swiss Half Fare card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2018 at 16:01:05 #814087

Hi all, I can’t thank you enough for all of the info this site provides! I have spent much time finding the answers I need! But of course there are still some questions that I still need help with…

I’m trying to compare the cost of our June first class train trip from Salzburg to Zurich with 1) buying the supersaver non refundable fare on OBB or 2) buying the first leg from Salzburg to the edge of Switzerland and then using the Half Fare card to buy the leg from the border to Zurich.

My first question is what is first leg, Salzburg to where? I put in Buchs on the OBB site and it is making me select “VIA” station and I have no idea which to choose. And what is my second ticket to Zurich? where does it originate and do I purchase this on OBB? Does this require a change of trains? We prefer railjet with one or no changes.

Second question, If I’m getting the supersaver fare at OBB right now without messing around with all these different legs, changes, etc, should I just take it? I’m wondering if it’s even worth the fuss if I wont be saving much if anything at all. Although, it looks like the children , 13 and 17, do not get a discount with the OBB supersaver but would travel free (at least 13 yr old) with parent using Half Fare card so there would be some savings there. Does this sound right?

Thanks again for all your help!

Melissa

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2018 at 19:09:42 #874689

Hi Melissa,

1. It should be Salzburg to Buchs. It is referred to as Buchs SG though. It shouldn’t force you to choose a via station….that seems odd. Your 2nd ticket would be Buchs SG to Zurich. You can definitely get a direct train from Salzburg to Zurich. You won’t need to get off at Buchs FYI. Just have two tickets for the entire train ride (one for Austria and the other after you cross the border).
    2. The Swiss Half Fare Card (with the needed Swiss Family Card) for the 13 year old wouldn’t get your children free within Austria to my knowledge.

You can check prices on SBB for Salzburg to Zurich and select that you have a Half Fare Card to get the proper discount for the Swiss leg.
      Compare that to your supersaver fare Salzburg to Buchs SG + half fare costs from Buchs SG to Zurich (this portion the 13 year old would be free with the Swiss Family Card). The 17 year old should have his/her own Swiss Half Fare Card.

Let me know how that goes for you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2018 at 19:42:37 #874690

Thank you Lucas! So I am on SBB and have put in Salzburg to Zurich, 9:56 departure, first class, direct, and selected Swiss half fare card. The non-refundable price is $101. If I go ahead and buy these tickets through SBB and have this ticket along with my Swiss HF card, is that all I need to show on the train? If it is allowing me to choose the use of the SHF card I do not need to purchase 2 tickets for the journey, correct?

Thanks,

Melissa

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 January 2018 at 20:06:21 #874691

Correct.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2018 at 8:17:39 #874692

Yes you are good to go then!

• The thread ‘Salzburg to Zurich using Swiss Half Fare card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.