Saver Day Pass and Companion Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 4:50:21 #814987

Apologies if this has been asked before, but my partner and I will be visiting Switzerland next month (we’re from the US), and I’m a little confused regarding booking our train travel. We will be traveling from Geneva to Lucerne via the Golden Pass Line for good chunk of our journey. From my research, I believe that it will be most economical to buy a Saver Day Pass with a Companion Ticket. It appears that this will cost 88 CHF for the Saver Day Pass (first class) and 38 CHF for the Companion Ticket.

According to the SBB website, it seems that this should be possible. However, I am confused because I read on several other forums that the Companion Ticket is only for residents of Switzerland and NOT for tourists. Which information is correct? Will I be able to purchase both the Saver Day Pass and the Companion Ticket for our planned journey even though we are tourists and not residents of Switzerland?

Additionally, if it IS possible to book the Saver Day Pass and the Companion Ticket, is the process of reserving a seat for the panoramic trains the same for the Companion Ticket as it is for the Saver Day Pass?

Thank you in advance for your help! 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 March 2018 at 5:21:08 #879994

Hello drasti,

First up you can make reservations anytime you like irrespective of whether you plan to buy a ticket or a pass. The reservation secures a seat, the ticket or pass covers the actual journey.

The Saver Day Pass is certainly available to tourists. The Companion Ticket is availabe for someone travelling with someone with a Saver Day Pass so I would say ergo you can do as you plan.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 March 2018 at 10:12:53 #879995

Note the Companion Ticket is only available until 6 May.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 14:31:28 #879996

Thanks for your help, rockoyster! 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2018 at 2:00:43 #879997

I’m no expert, but I posted a similar question a while ago and did lots of research – it seems like the Saver Day Pass is a new product in the past year and this year is the first time that the Companion Pass can be used in conjunction with anything that’s not a year-long pass, hence the previous discussion that was primarily for Swiss residents. I emailed SBB to confirm that you can indeed use the Companion pass with the Saver Day Pass (without needing the half fare card or any other pass/card).

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 March 2018 at 2:33:39 #879998

Yes, that’s the conclusion we reached above but it is nice to see it confirmed through contact with SBB. So thanks for sharing that.

By the way the product is a Companion Ticket. There is no such thing as a Companion Pass. There is also a Companion Card but that’s another story. 🤓

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2018 at 3:23:12 #879999

Good to know that SBB confirmed that this is acceptable. Thanks, tanman!

• The thread ‘Saver Day Pass and Companion Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.