3 day Swiss Travel Pass or 3 Saver Day Passes?

3 day Swiss Travel Pass or 3 Saver Day Passes?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Kelana
Kelana
1 post
Jan 9, 2018 - 7:01 PM

I will be in Lucerne for 5 days in February.

The first 2 days will be covered by Tell Pass which the hotel provide. I plan to go to Mt Rigi on one day and Mt Titlis the next.

On the 3rd day, I’m going to Interlaken > Laterbrunnen > Murren and back to Luzern. The 4th day, I’m planning to go to Strasbourg on day trip and back to Lucerne. I’ll be leaving for the airport on the 5th day.

I noted that Saver Day Pass will cover day 3 and 4. However, if the weather on the first 2 days are not in my favour, I might have to change the mountain excursion to day 3 or 4. In that case will the SDP covers the transportation needed? Or is it better for me to just get the 3 day pass?

rockoyster
rockoyster
3387 posts
expert
Jan 9, 2018 - 9:24 PM in reply to Kelana

Hello Kelana an Welcome to MySwissAlps,

An SDP will cover Rigi but not the Engelberg to Titlis Cable Car.

Don’t forget SDP needs to be purchased in advance to get best price.

Is a 3-day STP worth it for you? You’d need to work out full fares of all your planned trips to see if STP saved you anything.

Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
2127 posts
top member
Jan 10, 2018 - 1:03 AM in reply to Kelana

>> The 4th day, I’m planning to go to Strasbourg on day trip and back to Lucerne ... I noted that Saver Day Pass will cover day 3 and 4.

The Saver Day Pass will only cover you to the border on day 4, i.e. Basel. You'll need a separate ticket for the remainder of the trip to Strasbourg. That's quite a distance for a day trip - 5.5 hours there and back on trains.

Alpenrose

Last modified on Jan 10, 2018 - 1:05 AM by Alpenrose666
Lucas
Lucas
5581 posts
expert &
Jan 10, 2018 - 10:30 AM in reply to Kelana

Hi Kelana,

To help with the math, use our spreadsheet on our page "How to choose the best rail pass" to help decide which pass is best for your itinerary.

If you go to Strasbourg you can buy tickets from Basel to Strasbourg here.

You'll also have to be careful and fast to get the Saver Day Pass at an ok price - they fluctuate every day and usually you won't find the cheapest prices on weekends no matter how far in advance you book.

Last modified on Jan 10, 2018 - 10:31 AM by Lucas

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018