3 day Swiss Travel Pass or 3 Saver Day Passes?

• Kelana
    Participant
    2 posts
    9 January 2018 at 19:01:15 #813988

I will be in Lucerne for 5 days in February.

The first 2 days will be covered by Tell Pass which the hotel provide. I plan to go to Mt Rigi on one day and Mt Titlis the next.

On the 3rd day, I’m going to Interlaken > Laterbrunnen > Murren and back to Luzern. The 4th day, I’m planning to go to Strasbourg on day trip and back to Lucerne. I’ll be leaving for the airport on the 5th day.

I noted that Saver Day Pass will cover day 3 and 4. However, if the weather on the first 2 days are not in my favour, I might have to change the mountain excursion to day 3 or 4. In that case will the SDP covers the transportation needed? Or is it better for me to just get the 3 day pass?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 January 2018 at 21:24:23 #873952

Hello Kelana an Welcome to MySwissAlps,

An SDP will cover Rigi but not the Engelberg to Titlis Cable Car.

Don’t forget SDP needs to be purchased in advance to get best price.

Is a 3-day STP worth it for you? You’d need to work out full fares of all your planned trips to see if STP saved you anything.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2018 at 1:03:03 #873953

>> The 4th day, I’m planning to go to Strasbourg on day trip and back to Lucerne … I noted that Saver Day Pass will cover day 3 and 4.

The Saver Day Pass will only cover you to the border on day 4, i.e. Basel. You’ll need a separate ticket for the remainder of the trip to Strasbourg. That’s quite a distance for a day trip – 5.5 hours there and back on trains.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2018 at 10:30:23 #873954

Hi Kelana,

To help with the math, use our spreadsheet on our page “How to choose the best rail pass” to help decide which pass is best for your itinerary.

If you go to Strasbourg you can buy tickets from Basel to Strasbourg here.

You’ll also have to be careful and fast to get the Saver Day Pass at an ok price – they fluctuate every day and usually you won’t find the cheapest prices on weekends no matter how far in advance you book.

• The thread ‘3 day Swiss Travel Pass or 3 Saver Day Passes?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.