Saver Day Pass starting prices change

• flooble
    Participant
    1 post
    15 June 2022 at 22:30:48 #827507

Hello! I read your pages about the Saver Day Pass and have calculated that a combination of the Half Fare Card and a Saver Day Pass on the long travel days will be the best approach for my trip this summer.

There are three days where I need a day pass and I’ve been logging on right at midnight Swiss time 60 days in advance to purchase them since all of the guidance says that they are cheaper the earlier you book. I’ve noticed that the starting price actually seems variable and I wanted to check on whether that is really the case or if something strange is happening.

For example, on 13 August when I checked the first class was 49CHF while the second class was 39CHF. Today I checked on 15 August, and it started at 59CHF for first class while second class was still 39CHF. It was literally one minute past midnight so it’s hard for me to imagine that enough people had already purchased first class to move the price up to the next level. It’s been a little difficult to confirm my math about the best passes when the price seems so inconsistent–in this case I decided to stick with second class since there was a more significant difference between the two. Anyway I think my actual question here is whether the starting price at 60 days really does vary and what that might be dependent on. I’m not sure what to expect when I buy the tickets for 18 August in a few days!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2022 at 6:49:58 #943265

Hi flooble and weclome to MySwissAlps.com!

We cannot really tell whynd how the price changes we suspect that it is by date and demand. Surely it has an algorithm behind the system but I do not think that anybody knows that perfectly.

You are sure, it is difficult to calculate if the prices are changing. I recommend calculating the average cost of the Saver Day Pass. And at the time of the purchase, you can check the prices again and decide whether you want to buy the Saver Day Pass or just use your Swiss Half Fare Card for that trip/day.

At HappyRail you can buy it earlier then 60 days, have a look at it: https://www.happyrail.com/en/pass/europe/switzerland/swiss-saver-day-pass

Does this help you a bit?

Take care,

Ildiko

• The thread ‘Saver Day Pass starting prices change’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.