SBB app cheaper to buy ticket to Jungfraujoch

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2018 at 8:58:27 #815594

Hi All

I have a query on the SBB mobile app. I can buy train tickets from Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch via SBB mobile app and only costs 95 CHF. This is way cheaper than buy from online at other websites like http://www.jungfrau.ch which quoting 142 CHF from Grindelwald.

I am a bit confused here as why SBB is so mcuh cheaper. Is the difference because buyin SBB ticket only allows train ride and cannot go up the the SPINX and Ice Palace. Information on http://www.jungfrau.ch doesnt state what the pricing includes and I cannot info on this anywhere.

Also it seems go to Jungfraujoch is cheaper from Wengen. I will be using a Swiss Travel Pass so the train ride to Wengen will be free from Interlaken. Just looking for cheapest way up to Jungfraujoch

Would be nice if someone can help me out

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2018 at 9:25:18 #883540

When you use the SBB timetable on the website it defaults to giving the cheapest price possible (for Swiss Half Fare Card holders). I would guess that is what is happening to you on the app as well.

The one-way half fare price is 47chf for Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch. So for a Swiss Travel Pass holder you double the price (regular fare) and then minus 25% = 70.5chf (one-way).

I would wait to buy a ticket until the day of travel so you know the weather is good.You’ll need to buy at a station as the APP doesn’t give the option to select the Swiss Travel Pass as a discount card (it is designed for locals not tourists)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2018 at 9:33:49 #883541

Hi Lucas

Thanks for advise. On the SBB mobile app topic, then does it mean tourists can’t buy the supersaver tickets when travelling around? I am travelling on Switzerland for 12 days and buying a 8 day swiss pass but for remaining days I am thinking of travelling around using the supersaver tickets

If you know the answer to this what will be fantastic

Thanks

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 April 2018 at 9:44:53 #883542

There is nothing to stop you using the SBB App to buy Supersaver tickets or the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details) for that matter. If the Saver Day Pass is a cheaper option for your trip the SBB app will offer you that choice.

In the SBB App you can edit the passenger details to indicate if you are travelling full fare (1/1) or half-fare (1/2). The half-fare setting is probably the default as Lucas says. 1/2 fare is only relevant if you have a Swiss Half Fare Card or if you want to buy a 50% discount ticket and travel with the Swiss Travel Pass. But in most cases it is best to buy at the station.

Just be careful with Supersaver Tickets. If you buy one and miss the specific train you will need to buy another ticket.

As Lucas pointed out the App does not cope with any tickets that are discounted 25% with the Swiss Travel Pass.

• The thread ‘SBB app cheaper to buy ticket to Jungfraujoch’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.