SBB App step-by-step upgrade 2nd Class to 1st

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 December 2016 at 17:43:53 #810480

Is there already a post/site on My Swiss Alps where someone has posted the step-by-step procedure to do a last-minute upgrade from 2nd class to 1st when you have a Swiss Travel Pass Flex (15 day) for a particular rail trip (that might look to be super crowded once you are at the rail station) on the SBB mobile App? If not, would someone be willing to write that out? I am guessing we will need it and would like to have it handy. Thanks very much.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    29 December 2016 at 11:53:37 #857554

Hi OHGeologist,

The easiest way is to just buy such upgrade tickets at manned ticket desk before boarding.

I haven’t used the app for upgrade tickets myself yet and the procedure seems to be a bit complicated. At the SBB website, you’ll find some information under “Travelcards and Tickets” and “First-class upgrade”. As for the app: the renewed app presents an introductory tutorial, so that may help you out. Tutorials are available on YouTube as well.

The general timetable shows expected occupancy for each connection well in advance, so that may help you to decide whether or not an upgrade ticket comes in handy.

I’m not sure if you’ve ordered your 15 day Swiss Travel Pass Flex yet. If not, please find retailers here. Since you’ll be traveling next summer, you can wait a while and see if any interesting promotions come along. If they’re available, they’ll be announced in our forum and you’ll find details here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 December 2016 at 12:25:07 #857555

Thank you, Annika.

We haven’t purchased them yet. Is there a best time (2 months out…etc.) if you need to make seat reservations on some of the train trips? Wondering if I need to have purchased our STP in order to make reservations?

What a gift this site/forum is!

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 December 2016 at 13:10:14 #857556

Hi OHGeologist,

It might be relevant for you to know that pass prices go up on January 1. Some retailers allow you to buy at their current rate even if you buy for next year, like http://www.happyrail.com/ en/pass/europe/ switzerland/swiss-travel-pass-flex. Further details are on the page Annika linked to.

Reservations are only required for a few tourist trains, and you can buy them whenever is comfortable for you. Buying last minute is not recommend though as seats can sell out, but again, 99.9% of the train do not need to be reserved. Your pass is sufficient.

myswissalps.com/ train/reservations

I’m glad you like our website!

jefrec27
    Participant
    6 posts
    29 December 2016 at 16:12:34 #857557

If I could jump in on this thread with a question about the 2017 changes link provided by Arno, I would appreciate it. In that link, it states “The Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi will be discontinued”. I am not familiar with the “combi” version of the Swiss travel flex pass. Is it different than the general Swiss Travel pass, and if so, how? Thank you.

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 December 2016 at 18:10:02 #857558

Hi jefrec27,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! The Swiss Travel Pass is for consecutive travel days, while the days of the Flex pass are flexible, to be used within one month. You’ll find all details here:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 December 2016 at 18:36:24 #857559

Hello…I though I had seen something on MySwissAlps about clicking on Email delivery when you purchase your STP….under delivery options. But I am not able to find that information. It looks as though they send it slow mail…paper copy…is there something I am missing?

I was looking on both the SBB site and the Happy travel site…,

thank you very much…hope to buy it before 1/1/2017

Arno
    15484 posts
    30 December 2016 at 19:41:31 #857560

Hi OHGeologist,

The SBB web shop for tourists can be found on http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After selecting the pass of choice and filling out your address, you will be able to select a delivery method. Pick Online Ticket to receive your pass through e-mail. Some other websites do not offer e-mail delivery.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 January 2017 at 1:23:14 #857561

Thanks very much, Arno.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 January 2017 at 19:42:44 #857562

Arno…I went to the Swissrailways.com/en site and picked 15 day flex. I entered my address, etc…and the only options for delivery were paper to my home or picking up at an airport in Switzerland. I did not see any email option. I am sorry…can you help?

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 January 2017 at 19:58:13 #857563

Hi Katie,

I just replied in your other thread but I’ll repeat it here: that’s correct as the Swiss Travel Pass Flex is not available to print at home yet, regardless of where you buy it. It’s worth it to compare the retailers listed here. Some do not charge for shipping. I’d recommend to check out http://www.happyrail.com/en/p ass/europe/switzerland /swiss-travel-pass-flex, they’re really cheap at the moment.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 January 2017 at 11:55:58 #857564

Arno…quick question…on the HappyRail website when you enter your birthdate…is it in the European Style with day/month/year or american month/day/year? Ready to buy, but didn’t want to end up in a tangle. Thank you.

OH Geologist

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 January 2017 at 13:42:09 #857565

Date of birth is European style: day/month/year. They also ask for a departure date from your country and I’d recommend to just spell out the full name of the month there. That will prevent any confusion.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 January 2017 at 16:27:36 #857566

Thanks very much…done!

• The thread ‘SBB App step-by-step upgrade 2nd Class to 1st’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.