SBB app, Swiss Half Fare Card

• Grace2022
    Participant
    12 posts
    13 October 2022 at 16:41:49 #828511

Hello,

I have purchased monthly Swiss Half Fare Card and my kids have Swiss Family Card that came with it.

I have printed the pass so i have the QR code for when i buy the tickets

I have also downloaded the SBB app but it doesnt appear i can register my half fare card there or my kids family card (if this is not correct how can i do so please?) It looks like i can only register with the app if i have swiss pass.

If i am not able to register or register my fare cards on the SBB app can can i purchase the tickets using the app? Or is my only option to buy tickets at the ticket office/train stations?

Also, do i have to buy tickets before each journey at the ticket office or can i pay/purchase them on the train?

Thank you so much

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 October 2022 at 16:50:12 #947785

Hi Grace2022,

Here is how you can use your Swiss Half Fare Card: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard/howtouse.

You do not have to add your pass to the SBB app, you can still buy your point-to-point tickets within the SBB app or at the station from the ticket machine or at the ticket counter. You choose whatever you like. In case you buy it in the app, make sure to buy your ticket before the train departure. Otherwise, you can be fined. They take it seriously.

Take care,

Ildiko

Learn more about the Swiss Family Card: http://www.myswissalps.com/swissfamilycard/howtouse

Grace2022
    Participant
    12 posts
    13 October 2022 at 16:58:37 #947786

thank you Ildiko.

do i have to buy ‘free’ tickets for the kids every time we travel or is it enough they show their Swiss Family Card to the ticket inspector on the train?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 October 2022 at 19:42:28 #947787

No, you do not need any tickets for your children, just show the Swiss Family Card to the ticket inspector if they ask for it. Learn more here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swissfamilycard/howtouse

Ildiko

Grace2022
    Participant
    12 posts
    13 October 2022 at 20:50:28 #947788

great thank you very much for letting me know 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 October 2022 at 22:22:03 #947789

You can view the passes in the app only, if you bought the passes at the SBB shop and if you had created a user account before purchase. Tickets bought as Guest or through a third-party reseller cannot be viewed in the app. Adding manually is not possible.

To buy half fare tickets in the app is always possible. Go to Settings > Travelers and enter all travelers that have a half fare card. Take care to enter the names correctly, as for the half fare card.

During ticket check, you present your mobile ticket plus your half fare card as a separate document, plus the family card together with an official ID or passport. That’s it.

• The thread ‘SBB app, Swiss Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.