Scenic train route from Lugano to Lucerne?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 January 2018 at 4:32:18 #813953

What is the best scenic route from Lugano to Lucerne? Is the Gotthard Panorama Express the best choice or are there regional trains that are better options that go over the mountains instead of through the new long tunnel.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 January 2018 at 7:42:21 #873677

Hi Gooch,

Yes, the Gotthard Panorama Express is the most scenic option I think between those two towns. You can also take the same route on a non-panoramic train as well (avoiding the mandatory reservation fee if you prefer). Details on both options can be found on the link above – both avoid the mountain tunnels of course. 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 January 2018 at 2:24:34 #873678

Hi Gooch-

<<“or are there regional trains that are better options that go over the mountains instead of through the new long tunnel.”>

Not sure of your meaning, and perhaps i misunderstood your question, but the Panorama Express does not use the new tunnel. All trains over the upper pass use the same traditional tracks, whether local or Panorama Express.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 January 2018 at 7:16:47 #873679

Thanks. I just wanted to confirm the Gotthard Panorama does not take the new tunnel but instead takes the traditional route over the upper pass. Also, should I for any reason not be able to secure reservations on the Gotthard Panorama I would have alternate options on the regional trains that follow the same scenic route.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 January 2018 at 9:15:12 #873680

Yes, that’s correct. But the regular trains will require you to change trains once or twice along the
    way. Be sure to travel on the regional trains via Göschenen and Airolo to ensure you don’t travel through the tunnel. We have details on the trip on our Gotthard Panorama Express page.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 January 2018 at 13:48:12 #873681

Hi Lucas-

<<“Details on both options can be found on the link above – both avoid the mountain tunnels of course. :)”>>

I’m sure that you know that one of the fun parts of the old route is that there are some tunnels that are dug as spirals inside the mountains, and used to gain or lose altitude.

The most famous example is at Wassen, where you can see the church 4 times from the train, as it gains altitude in and out of short tunnels.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Scenic train route from Lugano to Lucerne?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.