Scenic route from Zurich to Zermatt?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2018 at 0:52:41 #818461

Someone at the forum ( Lucas I think ) kindly suggested a more scenic route from Zurich to zermatt that does not include the tunnel but includes going through a town beginning with letter K. I thought I saved the name but did not. May I please have that information again? Thank you!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 September 2018 at 5:17:47 #896627

Take the route via Kandersteg. You will then travel between Spiez and Brig on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley. The 1-hour faster route Spiez direct to Brig takes you through the fairly lengthy Lötschberg Base Tunnel with rather limited views.

If time permits go for the the full scenic route Zurich – Luzern – Interlaken (via Meiringen) – Zermatt (via Kandersteg). Luzern to Spiez you will be on the Golden Pass Line (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass). The faster alternative is Zurich – Bern – Spiez.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2018 at 12:22:22 #896628

Thank you again!! I’m so excited about visiting such a beautiful place!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 September 2018 at 20:14:00 #896629

Enjoy. I had an error in my last response. Should have said “The 1-hour faster route Spiez direct to Visp . .. .”.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2018 at 22:40:23 #896630

Got it. Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2018 at 23:16:39 #896631

Personally I don’t find the Lötschberger trains terribly well laid out, but I never tire of the run down from Goppenstein to Brig.

Decent explanantion of the line on wikipedia:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Lötschberg_railway_lin e

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2018 at 12:04:53 #896632

Thanks for the additional insight.

StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    24 September 2018 at 12:38:48 #896633

I just returned from my week in Switzerland and have to thank rockoyster and the rest of the group on this site for helping me plan my trip. I too traveled the same route Zurich Airport to Zermatt via Kandersteg. This is a great route. I went to Switzerland to see the scenery which included Glacier Express, Bernina Express & Gotthard Panorama Express and thanks to this site for some great tips and lots of help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2018 at 18:58:49 #896634

Wonderful!! So happy you enjoyed your trip. We’re leaving tomorrow. Thanks god the additional opinion about the train.

Did you have to change trains three times on that route Zurich to zermatt?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2018 at 19:20:19 #896635

Hi Bambamrice,

Normally just 2 changes from Zurich main station (or airport) to Zermatt: Bern and Brig. The timetable will tell you where you need to change for your trip. Just be sure to enter via Kandersteg (you don’t change trains there, you just want to take a train that goes through the town. http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2018 at 22:15:28 #896636

Thank you Lucas. You and the team have helped me feel so much more comfortable with the trip. Your forum is a wonderful service. !!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2018 at 23:48:51 #896637

The important thing is that, when changing in Bern, you need to get the train that is signed as ‘RE Lötschberger’ and destination Brig or Domodossola. They always depart at xx.39 past each hour. Even hour trains will show destination as Brig, odd hours will show the destination as Domodossola (the Italian side of the famous Simplon tunnel)

Beware – the train has two portions splitting at Spiez – do not get on the portion with a destination Zweisimmen

• The thread ‘Scenic route from Zurich to Zermatt?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.