Nice town near Mount Rigi in October – not Lucerne

• Sasha8
    Participant
    2 posts
    4 September 2017 at 11:25:57 #813171

Hi,

We are planning to come to Switzerland in the month of October to celebrate my Birthday.

We will be landing Geneva on 6th of October around 10.30 pm. We will be heading back from Geneva on 9th of October at 5.30 p.m. (Flight tickets are already booked).

The day we arrive, we would just check in to the hotel near to the airport and then check out from the hotel(already booked) the next day around 10 a.m.

We have not decided the place where we would stay the next 2 days. We were thinking of either Lucerne or Zug to stay. We have seen the Lucerne city as such earlier so not so keen to stay there, unless, the travel time is less.

Since, 8th is my birthday, we planned to go to Mount Rigi on that day and something else if possible, where I can celebrate my birthday!

We mostly wont have much to do on 9th of October, since we would be heading back to Geneva to catch the flight back.

We would be interested in more scenic place, to see snow/snowfall if possible, lake view and a Cruise trip for sure.

We would be taking Swiss Pass for 3 days.

So, we basically need some suggestions on the scenic town to stay for 2 days and some places to visit, a nice place to celebrate my birthday and some other tips would be highly appreciated.

Please note that we have already visited Geneva, Lucerne cities and Mount Titlis as well. So we wont be interested to visit those again.

Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    4 September 2017 at 20:00:17 #869417

Hi Sasha-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps-

Take a look at this map:

map.search.ch

Zoom in far enough and you can see the train lines.

Then, the timetable can tell you about travel times:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

You could stay in Vitznau, getting there by frequent boat from Luzern.

I’m guessing that it would be quite expensive, but the new resorts on Buergenstock, overlooking Luzern and accesable by boat and funicular might be worth a look:

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/buergenstock.html

http://www.buergenstock.ch/en /resort/resort

This link may give you some ideas, combined with the map above:

http://www.myswissalps.com/wh eretogo

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 September 2017 at 21:38:53 #869418

Hi Sasha

We recently “discovered” Zug as a nice place to visit. Last year we took a boat trip on Zugersee – you could have lunch on the boat. This year we went on the funicular up Zugerberg and had a really nice lunch in the restaurant at the top of the funicular. There is also an interesting old town to explore. It is quite close to Lucerne and easy to get there if you want to do the Rigi trip or the trip up Pilatus. You will need to check timetables to plan your travel but I think in early October most routes should be available.

Enjoy your trip!

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 September 2017 at 5:28:06 #869419

Hi Sasha,

Indeed, Vitznau and Zug and perhaps Küssnacht would be nice smaller towns near Mt. Rigi that can work well for your trip. I’m not sure who close/far you want to be and what you mean by Lucerne cities (plural) are you meaning no towns around Lucerne?

For ideas on what to do in and around Lucerne have a look here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 September 2017 at 10:29:46 #869420

Hi…We recently stayed at Weggis, which has a gondola up to Rigi. It is right on the lake. It was a pleasant, small town, relaxed with a promenade along the lake.

Oh Geologist

Sasha8
    Participant
    2 posts
    11 September 2017 at 10:41:51 #869421

Thank you all for the responses.

I checked few places based on the responses received. We would mostly go for Weggis or Küssnacht. I did check Vitznau, but it looks too costly. Anymore suggestions or any other place/thing that we can visit or do over there? Any suggestions on a Romantic Cruise?

Thanks in advance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 September 2017 at 22:09:01 #869422

Hi Sasha8,

There are some nice dinner cruises on Lake Luzern that are quite popular!

• The thread ‘Nice town near Mount Rigi in October – not Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.