Scenic train from Bellinzona to Grindelwald?

Scenic train from Bellinzona to Grindelwald?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
loriestew
loriestew
3 posts
Mar 28, 2018 - 6:17 PM

In late April I will be traveling from Venice to Grindelwald, because of the distance and wanting to enjoy the scenic train ride, I booked one night in Bellinzona, and am looking to travel to Grindelwald in one day. I have the Eurail two country select pass and want to know what would be a good scenic train to take? Is it necessary to make a reservation in advance? Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!

Lucas
Lucas
5516 posts
expert &
Mar 28, 2018 - 7:19 PM in reply to loriestew

Hi Loriestew and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You are right on the Gotthard Panorama Express route so that would make it the easiest scenic trip for you. It takes you by train to Flüelen and then boat to Lucerne. You can book the Gotthard Express train (1st class has panoramic carriages) or you can also do the same route on the regular trains. This is a good idea if you don't want to spend the day going all the way to Lucerne and then back to Grindelwald - unless you do? :)

More details on the Gotthard Panorama Express route are explained here.

loriestew
loriestew
3 posts
Mar 28, 2018 - 8:08 PM

Thank you Lucas for such a quick reply!

I want to make sure I understand correctly what you suggested. Since I would rather not spend the day going all the way to Lucerne and then back to Grindelwald, I should take the Gotthard Express, 1st class in order to enjoy the panoramic carriage, to Fluelen and then get on a train to Grindelwald? Or just take a regular train from Bellinzona to Grindelwald, which will still be on the same route as the Gotthard Express, just saves me time? I apologize if I am making this more difficult than it should be ;)

Thanks again for your help!

Lorie

Lucas
Lucas
5516 posts
expert &
Mar 29, 2018 - 5:17 AM in reply to loriestew

Hi Lorie,

No worries, it can get a big complicated!

You can take either the Gotthard Panorama Express (GPE) train itself which offers panoramic windows in 1st class; or a regional train from Bellinzona to either Göschenen (1hr 15m) or Flüelen (just under 2hours). Always travel VIA Göschenen to avoid the tunnel on regional trains.

From those stops, on to Grindelwald is still about 4 hours. You can search dates and times on the Timetable to see what works best.

The GPE train only has 1 departure per day starting April 21 (Tues - Sat) leaving Bellinzona at 09:50
See timetable attached. If the timing doesn't work for you the regional trains will give you a similar experience and the same views.

Please login to see the attached documents
loriestew
loriestew
3 posts
Mar 29, 2018 - 1:22 PM in reply to Lucas

Lucas,

I can't thank you enough for helping me out! This trip has been so much fun planning, however a bit stressful to figure out, you just took the stress out and I am overly excited to see Switzerland!

Thanks again so much!

Lorie

Lucas
Lucas
5516 posts
expert &
Mar 29, 2018 - 1:49 PM in reply to loriestew

We're happy to help any time!

Happy travels

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018