Scenic train from Geneva to Zurich in one day?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 December 2019 at 15:12:08 #824664

Hi! I will be flying in to Geneva then driving down to Charmonix for 4 days. I have to drop my friend off at the Geneva air port then I will have another day and a half left in Switzerland to explore before I fly out from Zurich.

I was wondering if it’s possible to do a scenic train ride from Geneva to Zurich in 1 day? If so- what are my best options? Thanks in advance for any tips!!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 December 2019 at 18:29:03 #926469

Hello Erinb162,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, you could definitely do a scenic train ride from Geneva to Zurich in one day. I would the suggest taking the Golden Pass. You would travel from Geneva to Montreux by regional train to connect with the Golden Pass train at Montreux. The Golden Pass route is: Montreux – Zweisimmen – Interlaken Ost-Lucerne. At Lucerne you would connect with a regional train to Zurich:

Please get familiar with Swiss train table so you can catch your transfering trains with ease:

Be sure to look at this link as well:

When you are in Lucerne you could make a short break before you take the train to Zurich. The iconic Kapellbrücke (Chapel Bridge) and the old town are very close to the station. In addition, the train ride from Lucerne to Zurich is just over 1 hour.

I would also suggest the Saver Day Pass for your train travels. The earlier you purchase the Saver Day Pass, the better the price is. For your train ride from Zurich main trainstation to the airport; it is only one stop, so you will just purchase a one way, journey ticket. Here are detail links for your reference:

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Suzanne

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 December 2019 at 21:03:39 #926470

If you were prepared to depart Geneva early enough you could connect with the Glacier Express from Brig to Chur. From there you can get a train to Zurich. It’s about a 9 hour ride overall. You can follow the same route on regular trains if the timing of the GEX doesn’t suit or you are unable to get seat reservations.

Use the timetable link Suzanne provided to search for Geneva to Zurich via Andermatt and Chur.

• The thread ‘Scenic train from Geneva to Zurich in one day?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.