Swiss scenic trains - How to include on itinerary?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
nupur
nupur
12 posts
Feb 22, 2018 - 5:00 AM

Hi,

My parents will be traveling to Switzerland in June 2018. Their itinerary is as under -

June 19th - Arrive in Zurich and transfer to Zermatt

June (19th -21st) - 2 nights - Zermatt

June (21 - 25) - 4 nights- - Grindelwald

June (25-29)- 4 nights - Lucerne

June 29th - depart from Zurich

I have already booked their accommodation and have a fair idea of things to do around. However at this point i have not included any scenic train rides and want advise on the following:-

1. Can they include any scenic train ride in this itinerary? Maybe while traveling from one destination to another, or even while they are based at any particular destination.

2. Where can i find information about the scenic train ride that you recommend?

3. Is the train journey included in the Swiss travel Pass? They will be buying the 15- day STP.

4. Do we need to reserve seats on the recommend train? Does that have any extra charge?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards, Nupur

rockoyster
rockoyster
4015 posts
expert
Feb 22, 2018 - 6:20 AM in reply to nupur

Hello Nupur,

Have a look at www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/scenictrips/t rain.

The easiest scenic route to fit into your itinerary would be the Golden Pass Line. The other alternative would be to travel to Chur or St Moritz for an overnight on the 19th and then take the Glacier Express to Zermatt. But that would shorten you stay at Zermatt. Seat reservation is required on the Glacier Express but the trip is covered on the STP.

It might have been easier to weave in the scenic routes more easily if your accommodation plans were not already set.

Arno
Arno
11353 posts
expert &
Feb 22, 2018 - 7:58 AM

Hi Nupur,

As for question #3, please see www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018