Swiss scenic trains – How to include on itinerary?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2018 at 5:00:23 #814465

Hi,

My parents will be traveling to Switzerland in June 2018. Their itinerary is as under –

June 19th – Arrive in Zurich and transfer to Zermatt

June (19th -21st) – 2 nights – Zermatt

June (21 – 25) – 4 nights- – Grindelwald

June (25-29)- 4 nights – Lucerne

June 29th – depart from Zurich

I have already booked their accommodation and have a fair idea of things to do around. However at this point i have not included any scenic train rides and want advise on the following:-

1. Can they include any scenic train ride in this itinerary? Maybe while traveling from one destination to another, or even while they are based at any particular destination.

2. Where can i find information about the scenic train ride that you recommend?

3. Is the train journey included in the Swiss travel Pass? They will be buying the 15- day STP.

4. Do we need to reserve seats on the recommend train? Does that have any extra charge?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards, Nupur

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 February 2018 at 6:20:12 #877000

Hello Nupur,

Have a look at http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/scenictrips/t rain.

The easiest scenic route to fit into your itinerary would be the Golden Pass Line. The other alternative would be to travel to Chur or St Moritz for an overnight on the 19th and then take the Glacier Express to Zermatt. But that would shorten you stay at Zermatt. Seat reservation is required on the Glacier Express but the trip is covered on the STP.

It might have been easier to weave in the scenic routes more easily if your accommodation plans were not already set.

Arno
    15481 posts
    22 February 2018 at 7:58:24 #877001

Hi Nupur,

As for question #3, please see http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity.

• The thread ‘Swiss scenic trains – How to include on itinerary?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.