Scenic train trip Zurich to Milan in 3 days in Feb

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 January 2019 at 8:53:50 #819525

Hello all,

Need your advice about arranging this trip.

i will arrive in Zurich airport on the 7th february at 12:00 pm then leaving back to home from Milan airport on 10 th February at 10:00 PM.

what is the best route to do scenic train rides with stops in nice cities for may be mountain cable car rides or lake visits or try skiing “first time/ no gear”

from reading around i think best thing in the final stage is to take bernina express to Tirano and then from there to Milan which i can do on final day 10th february.

so i have almost 3 full days for first stage any advice about good program would be very helpful to me

i am travelling alone and light no problem to spend each night in different city.

thanks a lot

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 January 2019 at 9:42:12 #902343

Hi AuroraSeeker, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Your final stage is a good idea I think. Plenty of options before that. One way to do it is to stay in or near Zermatt, take the Glacier Express and then stay in or near St. Moritz.

Skiing will be possible in both areas. However, do read this as you’re a beginner: http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/snow.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 January 2019 at 11:31:01 #902344

Hi Arno,

Thanks so much for your advice.

so you think from Zurich i should go to Zermatt right away once i arrive or there is better way to do it ?

i prefer if i do not repeat same route like on going forward and not returning.

then spend a day in Zermatt or near it second day

then from Zermatt i take glacier express to st moritz and spend a day there.

as am on a budget based on the above you think i better get the half fare card or Swiss travel card ? any tips .

thanks again and sorry for the many questions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 January 2019 at 21:11:01 #902345

You’re welcome! Straight to Zermatt, yes. You’ll have sufficient time on your arrival day, and not too many days in Switzerland, so I’d go straight to the Alps.

The Swiss Travel Pass is more convenient and in this case cheaper as well. For purchase options, and to calculate the detailed travel costs, please see:

You will need seat reservations for the Glacier Express, or travel on the same route on regular trains to avoid those extra costs: http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2019 at 8:04:09 #902346

Excellent ! Thanks so much again for your help 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2019 at 10:38:04 #902347

Hi Again,

After a lot of reading around and calculating budget i thought it would be better not to go Zermatt directly.

hoping to do some hiking too instead of just train rides , note i will be there this February

i read wengen or Muren are good bases or the other direction St moritz

but i understand these will be crowded due to school holidays is that correct.

lugano looks nice but do no how is it in winter.

so far i thought

Day 1 Zurich->Mount Riggi –> “end Luzern ? or better something else to gain some distance? “already bought day saver pass for that day “

Day2 ??

Day3 ??

Day 4 main thing i need to be in Milano malpensa airport on Day 4 at 7 PM Max

Any advice about what is possible to do on the other days specially in February i read not all places are operational.

main thing i hope to stay at a quite village up in mountain where and i can do hikes and visit other nice near places on a budget and in the end if possible ride GEX or BEX

thanks in advance for your advice 🙂

Arno
    15471 posts
    21 January 2019 at 15:25:29 #902348

Hi AuroraSeeker,

Selected winter trails will be accessible in both areas (Jungfrau region and St. Moritz). The interesting resorts will all be busy during the winter sports season, but rarely in a way that you can’t enjoy it. If you don’t ski there is no need to be on the first lift up the mountain like many others.

Lugano wouldn’t be top of my list in winter, although it can be a base for day trips to the snow as well.

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu gano

Several villages in the Jungfrau region fit your description (see my first link). Even Rigi Kaltbad on Mount Rigi could work well if you don’t want to travel too much.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ri gi

• The thread ‘Scenic train trip Zurich to Milan in 3 days in Feb’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.