Scenic trains in January – Bernina Express

• StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    31 December 2019 at 16:01:30 #824767

I am heading to Switzerland on the 9th/10th of Jan for almost 2 weeks with plans of riding the scenic trains. I have rode them before just not in the middle of winter. The last part of the trip is where I am still looking for suggestions and information.

I will be riding the Bernina Express from Chur to Tirano, after a couple days in Tirano I will need to get to Lugano on the 18th of Jan. as of now I have plans of leaving Tirano at

11:08 Tirano to Monza

13:53 Monza to Lugano

Is this a good route? Easy? Scenic? Last time I did this I used the Bernina Express Bus.

The other leg is the Gotthard Panorama Express route. I understand that the Gotthard Panorama Express doesn’t run in the winter and the steam ship between Fluelin and Lucerne isn’t in service during the winter. I believe I can take regular trains from Lugano and Fluelin, but I want to be sure to take scenic route not direct route? I enjoyed the steam ship from Fluelin to Lucerne in the past but I assume the ship they use in the winter is nice too?

Thanks in advance

Steve from Houston

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 January 2020 at 17:20:35 #927179

Hi Steve!

If you go to the SBB timetable, try to use the Advanced search, where you can filter what kind of transportation do you want to use (train, bus, tram, funicular etc). Untick the bus there, so you won’t see any bus connections.

According to the timetable, you can travel from Tirano to Lugano using only trains, but it will take longer, around 8-9 hours.

Almost every train routes are beautiful in Switzerland, as you can see lakes, mountains, viaducts, vineyards etc. Try to avoid the tunnels, if it is possible to see more from the landscape.

I hope this helps. Happy New Year!

Ildiko

Also see:

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 January 2020 at 19:33:01 #927180

Hello Steve,

Is this a good route?

I would say it’s the only practical/sensible one in the absence of the BEX bus. It runs alongside Lake Como for a reasonable distance.

StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    1 January 2020 at 19:51:34 #927181

Rockoyster…I don’t see the option that I posted. I guess when I was putting this trip together a couple months ago is when I thought I found this, but I don’t see it now.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 January 2020 at 20:03:39 #927182

Are you looking at Trenord? SBB will try to route you via Switzerland which is a bit silly really.

See http://www.rome2rio.com/map/Tirano/Lugano for route map.

Another option is the Palm Express bus (#631) from St Moritz (departs 10:25am) to Lugano but that doesn’t include the Bernina route to Tirano. Although I suppose seeing you are staying in Tirano you could always get an early train from Tirano back to St Moritz to connect with the bus. Depends how much you want to stay on the Swiss network.

StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    1 January 2020 at 21:25:00 #927183

I am not sure what I was looking at the when I got the times going thru Monza.

I did the Bernina Express Bus last time on this route and booked way in advance picking the front seat on the bus so I would be able to see everything. Since I purchased my seat in advance I was not worried and stood next to the bus chatting while everyone else loaded up, when I went to get on the bus there was a gentleman sitting in my seat begging me to trade with him because his wife was claustrophobic and couldn’t toward the rear of the bus where their seats were. I wanted to do the polite thing so agreed to swap…big mistake, bus was packed, I was in a aisle seat and I could not see anything. I was miserable. I like the trains due to being able to get up and move around, much more comfortable.

I assume Trenord is the Italian train system? Looks like I can depart Tirano at 7:12 and arrive in Lugano at 11:02, changing trains in Monza. That doesn’t sound too bad.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 January 2020 at 21:41:28 #927184

Well, Steve, after that act of selflessness on the BEX bus you deserve a great trip this time.

Trenord is one Italian train company. It services the north of Italy.

Enjoy.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 January 2020 at 23:54:11 #927185

Trenord is the regional operator in the Lombardy region. Most local routes around Milano and up to the Swiss border are Trenord operated. Tirano – Monza – Lugano or Tirano – Milano – Lugano are the standard rail options for getting way from Tirano on the Italian side.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 January 2020 at 0:11:25 #927186

The Gotthard Panorama Express is a train, not a route. The GPE runs on the on Gotthard mountain line

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotthard_railway

The route is in valleys a lot so I’m not sure if taking the ‘scenic route’ will net you much gain.

In January boats leave Fluelen at 12.00, 13.00 and 16.00. If you connect over the old mountain route on the spartan local trains, you will get to Fluelen at xx.30 past the hour

If the weather is poor I would stick to the inter city route

• The thread ‘Scenic trains in January – Bernina Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.