Scenic trains vs. regular trains in Switzerland

• Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    18 July 2018 at 20:10:28 #817337

I’ve noticed on here a general preference for the “scenic trains” over regular services.

Bearing in mind, there are regular services on the sections covered by the “scenic trains” what are the considered advantages (and disadvantages) of the “scenic trains” over regular services?

Elsewhere, we discussed journeys on “scenic” lines rarely if ever covered or mentioned on here. In my travels, I’ve noticed some services are heavily patronised by tourists while other, lesser known lines and trains are mostly used by “locals”. (I always recall advice at an early university lecture [so many years ago!] “not to rely solely on anecdotal evidence because sometimes/often it is faulty”).

I understand all lines covered by the “scenic trains” have regular services that are covered by the Swiss Travel Pass. Does the Swiss Travel Pass cover all scenic trains and are there any additional charges to travel on them?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2018 at 14:13:34 #891783

Hi Gunzel,

Some good questions!

I think the advantages of the scenic (or panoramic) trains that we note here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/activities/sceni ctrips/train (first 4) are that they allow for direct travel (except for the Golden Pass route and the ferry to train change on the Gotthard Panoramic train).

Another advantage is that they have larger windows and often come with travel commentary. In the case of a train like the Glacier Express you get better food options that can be delivered to your seat.

Disadvantages would be that you can’t hop-on and off these trains as you could on regional trains that make more frequent stops. Regional trains also travel a little quicker if one is using the route only for transport from one town to another. And the reservation fee could be another disadvantage.

I would guess other members have their thoughts as well to the pros and cons!

As for the Swiss Travel Pass, it covers the ticket cost for these panoramic trains but reservations for all but the Golden Pass route are mandatory and cost extra no matter what ticket or rail pass you have.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2018 at 23:34:07 #891784

You may have noticed in various (numerous…all?…) posts from me that whenever people ask about ‘scenic’ or panoramic’ trains I explain that it doesn’t really matter as the view is much the same from any Swiss train window.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    21 July 2018 at 7:01:10 #891785

I love the topic of this thread ! The only trains of any sort that I have been on in recent years have been in the canton of Neuchâtel. But long ago, before my university years, I did most of my travel by train, in second class, and loved every moment. I can remember sliding down the upper part of the window, leaning my arms on the bottom part of the window, and poking out my head and often my camera. One run I’ll remember forever was the run from St. Gallen out on the Bodensee-Toggenburg line to Mogelsberg and this was because of the smell of the cows. I’ve never traveled in a “scenic” nor a “panoramic” train, but even back then the MOB run from Montreux to Zweisimmen and beyond was wonderful in spite of the regular sized windows. So my question to those who are still traveling all over the country by train is as follows: Can a passenger on a “scenic” or “panoramic” train slide down his window and lean out and breathe the air ? My guess is that these trains will be packed with fairly well-off foreigners and so standing up and leaning out a window will not be an option, even if the window does slide down. I suspect that my favourite train would be a personnenzug. No windows open on all the IC trains I see, so I suspect that windows that open are rare. So I’m glad I got to do my Swiss train travel back when. Now I travel by car, and I can roll down any window I choose and can stop almost anywhere. Flexibilty and freedom ! I attach a photo showing the type of coach that I loved.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 July 2018 at 7:35:13 #891786

No opening windows on the GEX an BEX but the Gotthard Panorama Express has a photographers carriage with opening windows. Slowpoke will tell you all about it. 😎

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2018 at 23:47:34 #891787

Your favourite Green RIC coaches are still running on the Zurich – Basel routes. Some have been refurbished with power operated doors, and repainted with the white livery to match more modern stock, but retain opening windows.

See photo attached of RICs at Liestal on 27 June 2018

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2018 at 23:51:05 #891788

Some of the windows on RhB Allegra units can be opened and also in the ‘photographers section’ of the Alvra sets now used on the Albula line

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    22 July 2018 at 4:11:01 #891789

Here is a short video I made of an IC on its way from Neuchâtel to Lausanne. These are great for covering greater distances in less time (quick with few stops) but not the way I would recommend to a tourist, unless all you want is a quick glimpse of what the train is passing by. youtu.be/DzA_DBUskBU

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    22 July 2018 at 4:20:39 #891790

This is the type of train I like to travel on. Not too fast with windows that open. I made this video two years ago, showing the Sauschwänzle Bahn train leaving Blumberg (Zollhaus) in the Schwarzwald of Southern Germany. Not far from Switzerland ! youtu.be/vfjus3_6NBs

• The thread ‘Scenic trains vs. regular trains in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.